Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys -- got a question for you all (y'all, i suppose, would be the appropriate contraction, but i just couldn't bring myself to say it):

i'm investigating doing a gsxr front end on my '01 SV-S. the actual front end conversion, the parts and processes thereof, is very well documented and i have no questions about that. my quandry: i do a lot of long-distance riding, and i was planning on picking up a set of helibars, and sooner or later, a nice scott's steering damper. by putting on a gsxr front end -- i'm planning on buying the setup from svraceshop, it's by far the most comprehensive and cost-effective way of doing it that i've seen -- i'll be swapping out the triples and so forth. would i need the helibars for a gsxr, or would the sv ones somehow still be appropriate?

similarly, will there by any weirdness with mounting a scott's -- or similar -- steering damper? the mounting points on the triples will be changed, but not the ones on the frame.

HMMM!

thanks guys!

--dan

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dan -
You shouldn't need a steering damper at all on the SV. There are several options for taller bars, you can get an aftermarket upper triple tree that allows the mounting of handlebars, or you can use a bar riser system like the ConvertiBars that are offered by one of the site sponsors here: www.convertibars.com Helibars I would imagine would work too, but you'll need the 50mm gixxer size clamps, not the SV ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as for steering dampers, i've gotten along fine thus far without, but the grim spectre of a high-speed tankslapper has me scared silly. it's a small investment that might save my arse one day, so it's on my Big List o'Bike Mods (though, perhaps farther down than i care to admit).

checked out the convertibars, they look really nice, though a bit expensive.

btw: i think it's your bike on svraceshop.com's picture of the gsxr front end conversion that i've been salivating over for a while. nice ride. =)

·
Registered
184 Posts
jarelj said:
You shouldn't need a steering damper at all on the SV. 
Doesn't the SV1000S come stock with a steering damper??
I have been considering a steering damper and wonder if the $600+ price tag is really worth it.........

Dave

·
Registered
505 Posts
danowar said:
btw:  i think it's your bike on svraceshop.com's picture of the gsxr front end conversion that i've been salivating over for a while.  nice ride.  =)
Yup, that's my baby! 8)

Really, you can run a full-tilt race SV set up with razor-sharp geometry, lightweight, and 90HP superbike motor and flog it around the track without needing a steering damper. It certainly doesn't hurt anything, but it's not needed IMO. The SV650 platform is rock-solid stable.

The SV1000 is a completely different bike, and has a lot more power to lighten the front end and make it flighty, but it's still a lot more stable than the TL was.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I've put nearly 1,200 miles on my GSX-R750 front end railing around the twisties and hills... and its very solid. There's not even a hint of a tank slapper. Once you get used to the fact that the bars are lower and a little closer in your confidence will come back quickly. I was seriously considering getting a Scotts or GPR, but now I think it would be a waste of money unless I was racing.

BTW you should also consider www.cliponrisers.com. I'm thinking about a set of these.

·
Registered
653 Posts
+1. I've been riding my 750 front end for a month now and haven't had any issues with wobbley wheels. I did install the stock steering damper mostly for aesthetics but frankly, you don't really need one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts