Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or a shock for any other bike that will have the right specifications. Length, travel, spring, valving, etc. Are the SV specific shock vastly different from the GSXRs, or are they very similar or a suitable swap?

Are there any more-suitable shocks off another make or model? What about the late model '09 SS/RR type shocks? Looking for some 3-way adjustment for cheap.

·
Registered
581 Posts
the damping rates, swingarm rate, dogbone ratio rates are all going to be different. that means that you'll have to rebuild whatever you buy if it wasn't built for the sv. the shim stack and ride height will have to be built for that geometry.

that being said, almost any penske can be built for any bike... so any penske would work :p

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Shocks should be valved according to the spring that's used on it, and a few other variables, but the spring rate is a big variable. The 1st gen sv seems to require an extraordinary high spring rate, so few spring & shock combos from other bikes are suitable.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the damping rates, swingarm rate, dogbone ratio rates are all going to be different. that means that you'll have to rebuild whatever you buy if it wasn't built for the sv. the shim stack and ride height will have to be built for that geometry.

that being said, almost any penske can be built for any bike... so any penske would work :p
So I can get a Yami specific 3-way used and have Zoran, of TWF, to rebuild by shock to my specs? Sound great! :thumbsup:

:laughing4:

The penske 3-ways aren't cheap to come by, even used.

·
Registered
799 Posts
So I can get a Yami specific 3-way used and have Zoran, of TWF, to rebuild by shock to my specs? Sound great! :thumbsup:
I don't think so, not that easy. there is shock body length, shaft length, clevis... etc that need to meet some numbers or shape. not as simple as just rebuilding it. you have to look for one that needs minimal change to be worth doing it. anything more than revalve and spring change will cost to much money. before you buy something you may want to run it by suspension shops and price it out.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I still have to come up with a list of suitable models. We know the 96-99 GSXR shock fits and the Kawasaki ZX shocks also is a decent fit. What about ducati shocks, off 95'-06 749/999?

Let's say a shock is longer or shorter, can I change the dog-bones to suit, and make it work? Or is that to micky mouse?

·
Registered
799 Posts
ducati has eyeball clevis. don't know about zx but some kawasaki's have wider clevis on bottom. little longer is better than shorter, no more than 1/2". it is travel that is important.
in other words list is very short.
what is point of installing aftermarket shock and mess it up with dog bones?
just buy right shock for bike, it will not cost that much more than trying to fit something else.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ducati has eyeball clevis. don't know about zx but some kawasaki's have wider clevis on bottom. little longer is better than shorter, no more than 1/2". it is travel that is important.
in other words list is very short.
what is point of installing aftermarket shock and mess it up with dog bones?
just buy right shock for bike, it will not cost that much more than trying to fit something else.
Hows 12" eye to eye, and 2.8" of travel? It seems to be quite a bit sorter than the stock shock. I think it does have height adjustment so I can probably lengthen it without changing the available travel. Dog bones can be changed out to suit the shock. How much travel does the stock SV650 shock have?

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what year sv? yes, that is way to short. how long is shock body?
'01 The shock body looks "proportionate" to the shaft. Not sure what the specs are, but from the looks of it it might not be long enough. You were thinking a new shaft to extend travel?

I think the easiest way is to ask Zoran what your options are.
I think so to... but I'm going to ask on here anyway:p

·
Registered
799 Posts
no, you need longer body. longer shaft would make longer travel which you don't need according to number you posted, and if body is to short there would be no room. you need 1.25" to get to stock length, than adjuster on top of that. ideal you want 13.5 to start with. what is width of bottom clevis, ID?
you can ask here but don't expect correct answers from real experts :)

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said its a 749/998/999 piece, I don't know the exact specs. penske

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
piggy back 3-way... all ti internals.... 800

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's actually their 4-way shock :p PS 8770

4-way... drooolllllah The res looks like this one, but this is a 8760
They say "most of the adjusters" are ti.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it possible to make it work? If I throw the whole rear end on there from a ducati? I havent bought anything yet. But 50% of msrp... I'm hand's getting itchy. Just a click away.

I think I can salvage one from somewhere.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts