Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im lookin around for grips and a few other items like clutch/brake levers, just wondering if anyone has any experience with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Grip-H...ies&fits=Model:SV&hash=item231e219e8a&vxp=mtr

and if these would work with a bar end mirror?

also, anyone running ebay bar-ends? can you recommend a "specific" one?
The other option is CRG's but they're a tad bit more than i want to spend for just a mirror.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i've seen plenty of pics online of SVs running those exact grips with bar end mirrors. since the bar end mirror enters from the end of the bar, I wouldn't think it'd be possible for them to interfere with one another. for bar end mirrors, look for some generic ebay ones, they are quite popular since not everyone likes to spend $ on the high end stuff until they're more of a seasoned rider or have $ to spend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a pair of those grips a few weeks ago, kept them on for 2 rides before i cut them off and threw them away. The rubber grip part is VERY hard and the metal rings started to hurt my thumbs after a short while in traffic. Maybe the driven d3s (that these are copies of) have a softer rubber part?
Anyway, i replaced those with a pair of progrip 717s and couldnt be happier, much softer and grippier than stock.

as far as bar end mirrors, i bought the cheapie chinese ones like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Motorcycl...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f190d8a02&vxp=mtr

I am totally satisfied. the view is SO MUCH BETTER than the stock S mirrors, with the convex mirrors, I can see across all 3 lanes behind me. They vibrate a LITTLE, but its only a problem when trying to identify headlights behind me at a distance ( crown victorias specifically, haha)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the driven 3d grips at a good price off eBay some time ago. So far they are great. I can't speak for the cheap ones but the drive grips are nice and soft with a ton of grip. Plus when you do need a new pair you can just buy the grip for like 15 if I remember correctly, but I haven't had need too.

Sent from the FUTURE using Motorcycle.com app

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the grips dont necessarily have to be comfortable to me, i wear gloves all the time (required per military) so the feel is going to be less of an issue. I'm still new to riding, so I still need to concentrate more on gripping the bike with my legs than my hands. tank grip pads, bar end mirrors and hand grips are my next 3 upgrades.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ive used those grips in the ebay link in the past and they never bothered me, only gripe is that they are a pain in the ass to install because of the metal rings.

I have Progrips on now, but prefer Pro Taper better, Progrips are nice and soft but let too much impact through.

Bar end mirrors are a bad choice if you live in California, makes it hard to lanesplit (which is legal here).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in NJ, no inspection here anymore, dunno if lane splitting is illegal or not, i dont do it. too many ... uhm... "typical NJ drivers"... on the roads for me to even consider it...

ordered up a set of cheapo chinese convex bar ends for something like 12$. they're folding too! dunno if im gunna do grips just yet, as i've got a GSXR front end i'm building up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mushy grip feel great but dont last for beans. my 2 cents.

Have you really used those grips in the link? There's nothing mushy about them, they're over firm if anything, and lasted me over 6 months without any discernable signs of wear.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I live in NJ, no inspection here anymore, dunno if lane splitting is illegal or not, i dont do it. too many ... uhm... "typical NJ drivers"... on the roads for me to even consider it...

ordered up a set of cheapo chinese convex bar ends for something like 12$. they're folding too! dunno if im gunna do grips just yet, as i've got a GSXR front end i'm building up.
If those mirrors don't work out for you, I bought some moto-elites that I have been very happy with. Would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got them mirrors. they're great except the hardware that came with them. i dunno how they expected them to mount with that garbage.

what i ended up doing was putting both collars over the STOCK screw as a "spacer" then put the stock rubber expander on the end. worked out great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts