Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got my tax return and was debating between wasting the money on x pipes for my mustang or a new exhaust for my SV. thats when i came across the fact that here in CA the emissions laws are perpetually getting stricter and found that only exhausts found in retailers have been approved by CA to be used. I've only seen Yoshis and 2brothers in my local shops.

SO... has anyone had bad experiences with getting pulled over for their pipe(s) in CA? I wanna get a Scorpion Street Extreme. i know its pretty loud so im kind of taking a chance at getting a ticket to begin with. I dont want to be SOL if i get pulled over. (though the cop in my neighborhood seems to not notice the many street racers in my neighborhood or the guy with the custom Big Bear Chopper with straight pipes).

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Ok, so I got my tax return and was debating between wasting the money on x pipes for my mustang or a new exhaust for my SV. thats when i came across the fact that here in CA the emissions laws are perpetually getting stricter and found that only exhausts found in retailers have been approved by CA to be used. I've only seen Yoshis and 2brothers in my local shops.

SO... has anyone had bad experiences with getting pulled over for their pipe(s) in CA? I wanna get a Scorpion Street Extreme. i know its pretty loud so im kind of taking a chance at getting a ticket to begin with. I dont want to be SOL if i get pulled over. (though the cop in my neighborhood seems to not notice the many street racers in my neighborhood or the guy with the custom Big Bear Chopper with straight pipes).
Hi Red_Fighter, I don't know anyone that has been pulled over or cited for their exhaust on a motorcycle or automobile.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've never personally heard of any riders getting pulled over due to "noise pollution", but I'm sure each city has some sort of policy or code regarding a vehicle being overly loud.

Anyway, I always hear Harley's blaring down the street, but I think they get that loud due to cranking the throttle hard. As long as you're aware when and where to crank the throttle, I think you should be ok. Just like speeding. We all do it, but we're always cautious of the area we're in and the possibility of being caught :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
What timing, I was watching Speeders last night and a guy got pulled over for his pipes being too loud. I'm holding off on getting anything until something happens with SB435.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jameswing i kind of feel the way you do. hate to have to buy another stock system after getting pulled over. but **** that scorp pipe sounds nice. decisions decisions.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
Jameswing i kind of feel the way you do. hate to have to buy another stock system after getting pulled over. but **** that scorp pipe sounds nice. decisions decisions.
Just hold on to your stock can or exhaust, you can put it back on if you had to.

The bike emission bill is ****, like bikes put out that much greenhouse gas.

And how many bikes are on the road?!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just hold on to your stock can or exhaust, you can put it back on if you had to.

The bike emission bill is ****, like bikes put out that much greenhouse gas.

And how many bikes are on the road?!
It never about just emissions.

I have failed smog test twice when emissions were way below the limits on cars. Once the on my 87 Prelude, the timing marks are one a rubber bushing, and the moved just a little so I failed (the emissions went up, and it ran worse after it was "fixed"), And last month we were selling my wife's Caravan, and It failed b/c I had just replaced the Battery, and the ecu hadn't initialized all the sensors again. One of my student has a Toyota truck and failed b/c his vacuum valve didn't say Toyota.

I can see them making inspections mandatory also, like in other states.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes. from what ive read anything that is not Oem can be reason to fail a test among other things. its ridiculous.

·
Chief Greeter
28,482 Posts
I have a non-oem exhaust on my 96 Ford truck and it uses all the emission plumbing and it passes, it's a Gale Banks full exhaust system.

http://bankspower.com/

Non-oem motorcycle exhaust should also pass as long as all the emission plumbing is still used. ;)

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
When riding with my dog on board,i have been fallowed by all types of cops.
Never has my scorpion been a subject of talk. I'll bet my doggie is on a lot of dash cams :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust in CA is legal with certain provisions. The exhaust must not be louder than 80db from 50ft of where the bike is traveling. So you can have a loud exhaust but when its measured you could be going 35mph in 6th gear and be well under the limit.

You wont incur any problems with the new bill UNLESS you've installed a full system on your bile which eliminates the catalytic converter and/or you've disabled the PAIR system and emissions systems we have on the bike.

See here for all CA motorcycle specific laws: http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=CA

·
Registered
373 Posts
i've never seen anyone get pulled over for their mufflers, but my friend who has a ninja 250 has two Two Bros pipes and it made such a racket he would get pulled over

but for us, i think every muffler is alright, just don't get one that says like "race only" or something.. i think the viper can has that labeled on it, not sure

i have the m4 myself and havent' had a problem with it

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
M4 Aftermarket Exhausts Legal in CA

Ok, so I got my tax return and was debating between wasting the money on x pipes for my mustang or a new exhaust for my SV. .
:) The M4 is good to go in California,

When I ship a full system, for street use, into California they come with the bungs to hook up the sensors, the same as OEM,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
65 Posts
That last link from eddiemon is a good one. As it says, most of this comes down to judgment by whomever has stopped you for whatever reason.

You get it cleared (or not) based on another officer's judgment. If you have access to a stock can in good repair things are likely to be smoother than if not from a common-sense perspective. The officer does not have to accept your Akrapovic Street Legal Component Certificate etc.

On to my anecdotes... 30+ years on the street in socal and I have put a full aftermarket exhaust on about a dozen bikes. Muzzys, Yosh, etc. The only fix-it I've ever been written was for a bald tire. And even that was more of a "I'll let you off with this but slow it down."

Emissions-wise the only experience was at the DMV for an inspection. The robot with the clipboard insisting on seeing a CA emissions sticker. My bike had fully-visible pod filters, aftermarket-exhaust, all emissions equipment removed (on that bike it meant a PAIR-like device and vapor recover canister). I could have made the sticker myself from a scan.

If we go to smog testing I'll wait and see if I fail before worrying. But having access to a stock exhaust might be a good thing. The folks I know in AZ seem to be able to pass their test even with richer jetting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts