Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make my 1st purchase and wanted opinions. I have heard that Carbon cans have a tendency to "rattle", or "need repacking more often" than others, but are lighter in weight. I have seen premium titanium oxidize in harmful salt/weather conditions, and Aluminum and Stainless keep their finish quality, but are heavier than Carbon or Ti.

Need some feedback.

G

·
0 Posts
I personally have the Yoshi TRS full system in Ti. carbon fiber is nice but without proper care and once in awhile a good waxing it may chip or crack. Well at least thats what happened to my cf hood for my previous car. I live in California so vhance of rusting is a minimum. Yoshi ships there Ti system with a polishing pad to use. My vote goes to Ti because of weight savings.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about carbon cans, anyone out there bad mouthing them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you don't repack them regularly, carbon cans can delaminate once the packing starts to burn away, but as long as you keep on top of that you shouldn't have any problems.
I have a black powder coated holeshot exhaust. which looks great.. another option for you to consider perhaps?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damo said:
If you don't repack them regularly, carbon cans can delaminate once the packing starts to burn away, but as long as you keep on top of that you shouldn't have any problems.
I have a black powder coated holeshot exhaust. which looks great.. another option for you to consider perhaps?
Why do they delaminate? Is It because of more heat getting passed by the packing or insulation? How often should they be repacked, and where do you get the packing material?

I thought about the poweder coated from holshot, Heard Wonderful things about Dale and his customer service, but dont you have to polish that thing with some special stuff you can only get from him? How long have you had yours and how is the finish holding up?

( that sounds funny too)

·
Registered
81 Posts
They delaminate because without the packing, too much heat gets passed into the carbon fibre.
Repacking frequency depends on the quality of the packing in the first place, but every 10000 miles of so is
a common figure. Most exhaust manufacturers will also sell you repack kits.

As to polishing the powder coated cans, from memory Dale said just polish it with any paint safe polish.
He does sell some himself, but any polish is fine.
Edit: just don't use metal polish like you'd use for the rest of the exhaust

Mine has only done 1100 km so far... and still looks like new.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damo,

thanks that is all great information.

O

·
0 Posts
I'd go titanium. More sturdy and durable than the CF's and less exterior maintenance. You'll get more out of them

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
my ART carbon slip-on seems to be holding up fine.I've only had it on for around 3,500mi. though.It's a whole lot lighter than the stock can,I couldent beleive it.Keeping it clean is a little annoying,but my long,dirt driveway is the cause of that.. :-\

B

·
0 Posts
one of the parts guys at my dealeraship said he refused to sell me a carbon fiber can.  He said it's great for racing applications but that it wasn't really meant to hold up to day to day use.  his reasons:

1) it discolors over time so it only looks sweet for so long
2) it can misshape itself due to a twisting action that occurs on exhaust system (not sure if i buy that one)
3) he says he's seen guys with carbon cans and out of no where the can will just outright explode, along the same lines of the delamination already discussed, just more severe. 

He pretty much said that yeah the weight savings are great but if you're not racing, big deal any system is still lighter then stock and stainless and ti are way easier to take care of.  I personally think that to save money and time in the long run that i'll probably just get a stainless system, maybe ti just so i could have something a little more "rare."

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys,

sounds as if I want maximum weight savings AND longevity/less maintenance to go with a Titanium can. Does anyone know of a special polish or had experience with getting rid of oxidation on titanium?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts