Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting caught in the rain, the front brake lever only needs to be pulled a fraction of an inch to activate (feels much tighter than before) and the bike is difficult to move while out of gear (like something is possibly rubbing) where it used to roll freely. Ideas?

·
very big dumb
9,066 Posts
most likely rust on the rotor. less likely is a sticky caliper or master cylinder. the pads are applying pressure on the rotor and or the rust is interfering. Just go for a careful ride and drag the front brake lightly for a minute and it should sort itself.
when's the last time you bled your brakes?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most likely rust on the rotor. less likely is a sticky caliper or master cylinder. the pads are applying pressure on the rotor and or the rust is interfering. Just go for a careful ride and drag the front brake lightly for a minute and it should sort itself.
when's the last time you bled your brakes?
I figured the same (rust) and tried some hard braking to clean the rotors off. At this point the rotors doesnt look rusty. There doesnt seem to be an issue with the rear brake pedal feel.
I purchased the bike used about 5-6 months ago and havent bled the front brakes yet. If it was a brake bleeding issue, I would think the feel would go 'spongy' as opposed to 'hard'.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounded like something is preventing the pads from returning to it open position and is packing it.

If I were you I would take the pads out (do a quick visual on it while it is out), clean the calipers/pistons and completely clean the slide pins (what I suspect is the issue) and the slide pin holes on the pad itself so it is free from hump and bumps and especially rust build up, and lube it. Put everything together and do a visual of the pads operation. If they look good and seem to be able to return when the lever is off. Do a slow ride in side streets (away from traffic) and test it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts