Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a Yosh carbon fiber pipe. I dropped the bike doing a stoppie and there are a few hairline cracks on the pipe (about 2 inches long). I don't feel any air coming out of the cracks. I can feel a few loose fibers. How worried should i be. What things should I be conscious of regarding the pipe. At what point should I replace. Just requesting a few opinions.

G

·
Structurally, CF is like fiberglass except it's not repairable (at least in the context of MCs); it's made up of several layers of epoxy-soaked Carbon fiber mat, baked to perfection. It sounds like you've cracked the epoxy that holds the whole deal together so eventually it will disintegrate. Run it 'til it blows and then replace it. One good backfire may be all it takes to complete the process depending on how severe the damage is.

:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nc_sv650 said:
Structurally, CF is like fiberglass except it's not repairable (at least in the context of MCs); it's made up of several layers of epoxy-soaked Carbon fiber mat, baked to perfection. It sounds like you've cracked the epoxy that holds the whole deal together so eventually it will disintegrate. Run it 'til it blows and then replace it. One good backfire may be all it takes to complete the process depending on how severe the damage is.

thanks for the advice. Will do

·
Vendor
966 Posts
The material certainly is repairable. Not necessarily to original strength or looks. But not really any less repairable than fiberglass.

If there's no air coming out you may have just cracked the top layer. It may stay like that, or may disintegrate as was stated. I would just ride it and check every so often for air leaks.

G

·
How would you repair CF composite? Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong perspective having an aerospace background. CF repair requires specialized tools and training (at least in aviation), but maybe there's a product available to repair cosmetic CF? Or would one just go with epoxy etc?

·
Registered
197 Posts
lol, gorilla glue... although that is some good stuff, I would prefer some JB weld

·
Registered
551 Posts
gorilla glue would work great...that stuff holds everything. but it would look like crap after it expanded and foamed out...you would never get it to look god, if you can try and fine some clear epoxy....
just my $.02 ;D

·
Vendor
966 Posts
nc_sv650, How would you repair fiberglass? The process is often the same.

I did, or took part in MANY repairs to fiberglass and CF parts. Race bike and race car body parts out of CF that had had been crashed, and some industrial CF parts. (Hoods, trunks, bumpers, fairings, tails, etc)

We usually would locate all visible cracks and missing pieces, and then clean them out with air and solvent, and then grind them a bit to create a good bonding surface. Cleaned again, and then depending on the size, we would do a few things. for small cracks in painted pieces, we would fill the crack with an epoxy that actually has carbon powder in it for strength. We also used the same stuff to bond the upper and lower halves of car wings, and fuel tanks for bikes together. Then we we would sand it smooth.

For larger cracks and holes, we would rough up the surface and apply new carbon from the back as a patch. We would use a resin that could dry at or close to room temp. Then we used the epoxy as mentioned or bondo to make the front flush. It would work well enough. for Race cars and Race bikes, and even worked in our industrial parts.

Aerospace is a different story. Often there isn't clearance or access to both side or tolerance for more thickness. Also, the way the part flexes is altered. In more critical applications, this can be a problem.

So, it requires specialized tools and training about as much as fiberglass does for most automotive appications I've encountered.

G

·
'kay!
Thanks for the info! Many differences between the two applications in this case.

Is there any hope for camhops can (i.e. patching from inside)? What kind of place would be able to do this, or where could you get CF mat/ CF empregnated epoxy to do the repair at home? CF work involves some health risks -as does 'glass- are there any particular safety precautions you would recommend if DIY is possible?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
my cf yosh pipe cracked and i sent it to yosh.. that i recommend you DONT EVER EVER EVERY DO NEVER EVER unless you love blowing money and waiting 2 months...

so whatever you do try not to think of sending it to yosh a possibility unlesls its a last resort

1 - 13 of 13 Posts