Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you all think. Are Aerostitch suits worth their price tag, or are there better alternatives?

·
Registered
8 Posts
On a given day, there are often better alternatives (ie. something cooler, warmer, or more waterproof). However, I always go back to the 'Stich as it just feels "right". After 100000 miles and one crash, it needs a couple of zipper pulls and some new velcro, but I'll be keeping it for the long haul and will eventually buy another.

No regrets on the purchase. But I'd buy the two piece next time instead of the one piece.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Far too many testimonials from hardcore riders for it to be all hype.

YMMV - but I'm giving consideration to buying one in lieu of a leather suit. I don't spend enough time on-track to justify buying a suit dedicated for the purpose. A 'stich seems a good compromise for commuting and track work. I've seen numerous people in virtually all the groups wearing them (advanced included).

Strap on some knee pucks and out you go. Ditch the pucks and ride to work with your street clothes underneath. Making it more versatile justifies the price more easily.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO, it is worth every penny. I bought my Aerostich approximately two years ago. Boy did it hurt to lay our the cash but I have never regretted it. I use it more for my ST 1300 than my SV but I am planning some track days soon. Easy to get in and out of, quality is excellent, provices great protection. Pretty much waterproof but in a 30-45 minute heavy rain will leak some at the main zipper. Just rode the ST around Lake Superior in the Stich. Wore bicycle riding shorts under some blue jean cut offs and tee shirt under the 'Stich. Worked great starting out in cool mornings, hotter afternnons and occasional rain, fog etc. They are hot after about 80 degrees. Some suggestions....Tyr to go to Aerostich to get measured....great people and service and a 10% discount for ride-ins. If you can't listen to the Aerostich advice on fit. They will send you one off the rack that is the closest fit. You can then put it on and decide what alterations you need and send it back. I had 1 inch taken out above the knee and one below. It restrospect should of left it a left it a little longer. They told me that....I didn't listen. When you first get it it will be pretty stiff. It will break in over time and be very comfortable. With the 'Stich I have something that works for touring, commuting and the occasional track day. Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best textile suit out there... I have 30,000 miles on mine and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If you are going to ride on the track I'd say get Leathers, other then that the stich is great.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had my two-piece for `bout ten years and 130k miles. Wouldn't trade it for anything else I've seen. Several of my riding buds have tried other brands and come back to `stitch.

They are not perfect, by any means.

The first time you put it on, you'll feel like you've been immobilized. It takes quite a few miles to "break-in" properly and let you move around. If you don't mind used, that is one huge advantage to buyin'' from newenough or the leather exchange.

They are not water proof, but pretty darn water repellent. After a couple of hours, you'll be wishin'' you were wearin' depends...

I wore mine year-round until about two years ago when I finally dropped the bucks for a perforated Vanson for Texas summers. But, then, I'm an old wuss...

I've crashed mine a couple of times with minor damage (to both the suit and me). I did a couple of track days in it years ago, but have since gone back to leathers for track time.

All in all, when I wear this one out, I'll get another one. If you amortize the price over ten or more years, it's pretty affordable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just bought my second 2 pc 'Stich, and like the first, I'm quite sure it will serve me well for years.
The hardcore riders comment hit home with me. I like to think I put a lot of miles on my machines, and I do, but the guy's I ride with just plain put me to shame. Several are Yankee Beemer members, one an Iron Butt rider, all put LOTS of miles on their bikes. Several own Aerostich with BMW, Tour Master and First Gear stuff mixed in as well. They all like and respect the Aerostich gear, including me of course.
I can honestly say I haven't seen any non-leather apparell as well made or supported by the maker than Aerostich. If you crash in it or need something repaired, they will do it. With the exception of Vanson, the other brands won't do this. It's available in more sizes, color combinations and has more accessories than anything I have ever come across. They will also make special alterations to suit those who are hard to fit.
It's isn't perfect. It won't protect better than leather. It isn't quite 100% waterproof. But if you need something that's versatile and that will serve you well 99% of the time, the 'Stich may be for you. I still own some leather. Sometimes it's just nice to wear the cowhide, ya know? But the vast majority of the time I wear my Aerostich.
Is it worth the money? Like anything else, that's entirely up to the person buying it. Afterall, it's their money.
If you happen to see someone with one, ask them if you can look at it. Most likely they will be happy to do it. That's how I decided to buy one. I was at my local Cycle Gear years ago and a rider had one who let me check it out. I was impressed enough to buy one.
At the very least go to their web site and get the free catalog. It's got so much cool stuff, it's amazing it's free!!
http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more note, and this is probably one of the most importaint things... Aerostich Suits Breath because the lining is all Goretex. A lot of other textile suits don't breath and thats why they are so hot.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
LyFeReMiXeD said:
Just wondering what you all think. Are Aerostitch suits worth their price tag, or are there better alternatives?
IMHO yes. I put about 50k on one piece Roadcrafter, before it "shrunk" and wouldn't fit me anymore, in the meantime, I bought some JR Ballistic jacket & pants. and truly discovered that Aerostitch truely is quality in construction, materials and design. compared to my JR gear, the stitch offers stitching that doesn't rip out, materials that don't wear out in 30,000 miles, and excellent design, pockets that are actually useful, vents that work, good access to get into, and good access into your street cloths underneath.

there not too hot, if it's 95°, soak your t shirt in water before you put your stitch on, acts like air conditioning. on the otherhand, in winter they are no warmer than what you are wearing underneath, a layer that is a windblock is essential.

good news is, my stitch fits me again, I have to sent it in to get a zipper repaired.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have to join in - I have a two piece areostitch and it is by far the most versatile motorcycle clothing I have ever worn - pricy but worth every dime. I wear the jacket every day through all kinds of weather, comfortably. My leathers now sit in the closet for track days only.

I have a friend who walked away from a 70 MPH (est.) low side without a scratch thanks his two piece areostitch - this was proof enough for me.

Spend that money - you only have one body.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
A bit O/T - but 'stich related.

For those that have experience with the one-piece suit - is it as easy to enter and exit as they say? This is a big point for me in terms of versatility. Right now I'm using 2 piece JR stuff and it's not hard - but it's not quick to get in and out of this stuff.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ruefus said:
A bit O/T - but 'stich related.

For those that have experience with the one-piece suit - is it as easy to enter and exit as they say? This is a big point for me in terms of versatility. Right now I'm using 2 piece JR stuff and it's not hard - but it's not quick to get in and out of this stuff.
Ruefus,
I'm confused. I tried the one-piece before buying my two-piece and found little difference in donning or doffing them.

Back when I commuted to the corporate world, I could be in or out of my `stitch in less than 30 seconds with my "I am an executive" uniform all neat and pressed.

The fun part was hanging the zipped-together suit on my hall tree with my helmet on top. More than one coworker stopped in my doorway for something, only to say, "Oh, I'll come back when you aren't busy..."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit - 1 or 2 piece

I am sold on getting one, once I rat hole away enough $$...I'm looking for help choosing which one. My riding is mostly commuting to work, with some weekend riding, nothing over a few hours. One or two track days per year. I live near Dallas, so summers are hot, winters relatively mild, and rain just a rumor. My current outerwear is a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and blue jeans (no proper riding pants). My ride is an SV650.

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
RandyO said:
IMHO yes. I put about 50k on one piece Roadcrafter, before it "shrunk" and wouldn't fit me anymore
My first 'stich "shrunk" too ;D That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

SV in Big D and other folks: I've had two 'stiches, both grey and 2-piece. I prefer the 2-piece simply because on very hot days I have the option of just wearing the jacket and jeans (I'm a ATGATT guy as a rule). One serious caveat: do not get a RED suit unless Aerostich guarantees you that their red dye will not fade. In the past the RED suits have faded to the so manly and attractive shade of PINK. Unless that's a plus for you ;)

boardsNbikes

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm a fan of Aerostich, but not of the Roadcrafter. I've got a Darien two piece, and that was much more comfortable than either of the Roadcrafters. They are more waterproof, but take about a minute or two to put on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another hardcore/die hard owner here.
To put it bluntly, if I had to have only one suit or jacket/pants combo, it would be my 'Stich hands down. It's the most versatile, convenient and comfortable piece of riding gear I own. As one poster said, "it just feels right". They may not be the most stylish or hip looking outfits, but they do just about everything you need a riding garment to do. They aren't perfect, but I can't find anything out there to match it for overall performance, fit and finish, suit options, colors or sizes(they can literally fit anybody).
Whether they are worth it or not depends on what a particular individual is willing to pay, no matter what they are buying. I find my suits to well worth the asking price.
It's not the only riding gear I own and I do own leather as well. But most of the time I use the Aerostich.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts