Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm about to purchase my fist bike. After taking the safety course, waiting some time for the right time and doing some research for the right bike, I have chosen to get a used sv650. I've ran into a bike and I'm not sure if this is a good deal, here is the description:

"2005 suzuki SV650S. clean title in hand. 14k miles. had a full service 1k miles ago. it included: oil change, coolant change, brake fluid front and back, spark plugs, air filter and new chain. also has aftermarket undertail, exhaust, frame sliders, and upgraded fork springs(also have the stock ones). tires and brakes are in great shape. runs like new. also have the rear seat and bar. its taking up my needed space."

I have only seen pictures of the bike but i'm going to go see it sometime this week, my questions are, is 14k too many miles for a 2005 bike? His asking $3700 for it, is this a fair price? What should I look for to make sure that i'm not buying a defective bike? Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
It's a good price for an S, and I wouldn't hesitate at 14k if they did regular maintenance. Ask about the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FWIW, my neighbor has an SV650 with 12000 miles and the thing still runs like brand new. As was mentioned above... as long as it is maintained properly you will not have any problems!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
My '05 naked has over 14K on it now and still runs great. Owner's done a lot of the maintenance I've done in the past year.

My vote would be go for it if it's the one you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the bike :) ! She's a beauty. I went with a friend who has been riding bikes for years. The bike looks great, brand new. I'm the third owner of the bike. The second owner only had it for 1k miles and needed the money, and had already moved out of the state, he was nice enough to have someone put the bike on a truck and drop it off at my house. My friend tells me it sounds and runs great (he rode it around the block a few times before I bought it.) I took it out yesterday to an empty parking lot, I'm hype about it. I just need to practice a few times before I hit the road as this is my first bike. I did take the motorcycle safety course last september but my sv650s has a lot more power than the bike I learned on. Besides is still pretty cold here in NJ so am taking this time to buy all my leathers. I want to change the oil on it before taking it on the road, should I do this my self or should I take it to the shop and get a full tune up and maintenance? - My friends know a good bike mechanic who doesn't charge much. Besides what was done by the second user: "oil change, coolant change, brake fluid front and back, spark plugs, air filter and new chain" what else should be done to the bike by 14K miles? Where can I find a user/ repair manual? Thanks so much for your help guys.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Did he do the valve adjustment? That is due by 15,000 miles so you should probably have that done right away if it hasn't been checked yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take the bike to the shop first chance I get. I would like to take to a lot at least one more time to get comfortable making turns (specially tight right turns) before riding it to the shop. It was a little cold today and I had a busy schedule so I couldn't spend any time with her, is also suppose to snow a little this week :-( I really hate this weather. Hopefully next week will bring nicer weather.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Mine is at 48k,and has been checked 3 times. Still hasn't needed adjustment.
I bet it doesn't need adjustment. Just needs to be checked. :)
Should be checked stone cold,so you will most likley have to leave it over night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I can't wait until we get better weather here in NJ. I got a few questions about riding gear... I'm about to purchase the alpinestars vector perforated jacket, is worth $500, after trying out a few jackets I like the way it fits and the looks. Just wondering if you guys think is worth spending $500 on it, does it offer better protection than one of the cheaper jackets? Any recommendations on jackets? I'm also looking for recommendations on a descent pair of boots in the $100 price range. I've looked at the joe rocket orbit boots, river road double zipper field boots and the tour master response sc road boots but have yet to decide which ones to get, I'm going to be doing most of my riding in warm/dry weather. What do you guys recommend? On the shopping list I also have shin-guard / knee protectors (alpine star reflex knee guard $24.99) and a pair of alpine stars compression shorts($49.99)- will this gear offer good protection? I don't want to go with riding pants at the moment since I want to be able to ride to work and not have to changed my pants. Helmets-- I already have an hjc cl-15 helmet, my girlfriend insists that I but a shoei helmet, she tells me that a $500 helmet will offer better protection in case of a crash, is this true? I also have a pair of riding gloves, their not leather but my once again my girlfriend tells me that leather gloves are much safer? I'm already spending $700 in jacket, boots, shorts and knee guard, and I also have to take the bike to the shop to get it serviced..should I replace my helmet and gloves too? Any recommendations on the gear? Once again, thank you all for you advice, you all have been very helpful.

·
Registered
496 Posts
1. Jackets are expensive. But you can probably do better than $500. My experience has been that Alpinestar and Icon tend to be more expensive - your paying for the name more than the quality. But that's just my thought. I really like Shift myself, but that's because they make good stuff that fits skinny small people. It might do you good to check out:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.newenough.com/

2. You can buy overpants that slip/zip off pretty easily if you want to go that route. Bohn armor pants are pretty sweet as well for wearing under jeans.

3. No one is really going to be able to tell you what's a better helmet. There's just not enough data out there, and it's very subjective (where did you get hit, what angle, how much force, how does your head bounce around in the helmet, pre-existing conditions, helmet fit, etc. etc. etc.). I've seen people crash and be fine in $600 helmets, and crash and be fine in $75 bargin bin helmets. I've also seen people crash and get hurt in $600 and $75 helmets.

4. Leather gloves are a *really* *good* *idea*. And they're much cheaper than everything else you're already planning on buying. :)

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
You do want a good pair of gloves ... I have a nice set of scars on my left fingers from not having a good pair of gloves on during an accident.

Where in NJ are you?

·
Registered
367 Posts
1. Jackets are expensive. But you can probably do better than $500. My experience has been that Alpinestar and Icon tend to be more expensive - your paying for the name more than the quality. But that's just my thought. I really like Shift myself, but that's because they make good stuff that fits skinny small people. It might do you good to check out:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
http://www.newenough.com/
I'd check www.motogearoutlet.com as well. They have some good deals on First Gear and Olympia jackets.

Oh, congrats on the new bike. Sounds like you found a nice one for the money! Post some pictures when you get a chance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Helmet: so long as it's DOT and Snell approved the rest is fit, noise and name. (as i understand it).
Jacket: I got a Tourmaster JETT II for $140 that I tested out with a low-side and it was remarkebly comfortable and held up great. It's textile, but a good starter IMO
x2 on the overpants; you can get the armor in there and throw them on over your regular pants. They'll run you about $100 +/-

·
Registered
74 Posts
I second the leather gloves: FULL LEATHER GLOVES. I have first hand experience with textile parts ripping.

As for helmets, I love Scorpion. The EXO-400 is a great full featured helmet (anti-fog, washable liner, DOT/SNELL) at a great price (less than $150).

·
Registered
12 Posts
$500 seems to me very expensive. I want to change my jacket for an expensive leather one and it's about €400, with a 20% tax included... If you have any reference I can give have a look at the price in a European shop (But I don't think it will be cheaper, AlpineStar's most expensive Jackets are about €550).

For Helmets the US norm is not the same as EU (Europ Union) one, but some motor magazines have made some trials that show that the price goes with comfort, not protection.

I do ride to work, so I have a leather trousers dedicated to motorbike but that is discreet

1 - 20 of 25 Posts