Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 03 650 is ready for a chain and sprocket kit so looking for anyone with experience on different gear setups. Thinking of -1, +2-4. Honestly, it's not that I am unhappy with the stock gearing but my friend with a Triumph speed four lowered his ratio and WOW! It really woke the bike up. That being said the SV runs out of RPM's much quicker that a I4 600 so wondering if just going up a couple teeth in the rear would make much of a difference.

Also any advice on size (520, 525, etc) or where to buy would be great.
I suppose the smaller sizes just reduce weight along with aluminum sprockets, but how much quicker will they wear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
dont get a supersprox stealth!!!!!! they are dead sexy, lightweight, not that much more cost wise than a straight aluminum deal, and yea they sound like they should be perfect........ except they are notorious for being less than perfectly round..... ask me how i know (grumble grumble)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
go 525 steel sprockets and cheapest DID o-ring chain

520 chain doesn't wear any faster but 520 sprockets do,

aluninum wears even faster than that, you can get more exotic bi metal sprockets, but they don't save money in a cost per mile analysis, it's obviouly worth it to some peeps for the bling value

cheapest cost per mile would probably be converting up to a 530 setup, cost is not that much more and sprocket width is double what a 520 is

I converted up from a 525 to a 530 on my V-strom a 7% increase in initial cost has resulted in a 50% increase in chain & sprocket life

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
-1 and +2-4 is like going up 5 to 7 in the rear.

that would make first gear only good for wheelies. Pointless IMO. down 1 in the front or up 2 or 3 in the rear would be the best choice.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you're willing to drop the $$ to do it right, then check out Krause Racing. They were originally known for "sidewinder" off-road sprockets, but now have something much cooler...which I am in the process of saving up for.

Krause's Ti-2 sprockets have a no-wear guarantee. If they EVER wear out, they'll replace them. Also, they have a new Ti-roller "smart chain" that claims twice the life of any other chain on the market.

I think twice the price of a mainstream sprocket & chain package for permanent sprockets and 45k-mile chain is worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts