Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... need some help. So here is my situation: My gf and I are moving from Texas to NJ and we are going the U-Haul route. Furniture is going in the truck and my SV/her FZ6R are going on a 5x9 utility trailer which U-Haul is also renting us. This WAS the plan... until I crashed my SV at a track day two weeks ago. I've been looking for the parts to fix it up (mostly body work) and found a crazy deal on craigslist the other day. A guy has an 05 Blue SVS (exactly like mine) which has never been down, but the motor on it is blown. He is willing to sell me the whole thing for $1000. It's a complete bike and has everything I would need to fix up my bike, plus I'd have a ton of spare parts. I can't pass a deal like that up, but if I take the bike I am gonna have to transport it to NJ in a month. On top of all of that, I separated my shoulder during the crash so I can't do any work on either bike before we move. What do you guys suggest? Can I get a one size bigger U-Haul and try to put the bike in the truck with our furniture? The floor in the truck is flat and aluminum so I don't think I'll be able to tie the bike down inside. I'm also worried about the amount of space it's gonna take up in the truck. I thought about getting a crate from a dealer, but they told me they ship all the crates back to the manufacturers. Any advice would be awesome... I don't wanna pass this deal up! Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Don't U-Hauls have tie downs on the sides? Just put it up front, tie it down. If you have a couch and a love seat, but the couch on the long side of the bike and the love seat on the short end. Couch/love seat being squishy would protect the bike from the little movement you will have during the move. If no couch, then mattress or something. just make sure you tie down everything else.

else, there are shipping companies that will take care of the bike for you.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I moved my SV from Boston to NJ in a U-Haul truck, no problems. I had the bike on its sidestand parallel and against one of the sides and secured it with tie downs to the tie down tracks along the wall. Packed the rest of my belongings around the bike. Nothing moved.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I moved my SV from Boston to NJ in a U-Haul truck, no problems. I had the bike on its sidestand parallel and against one of the sides and secured it with tie downs to the tie down tracks along the wall. Packed the rest of my belongings around the bike. Nothing moved.
Glad it worked out for you, but that is a real quick way to wreck your kickstand or even worse, your frame. A nice bump and you have the whole bike bouncing up and down on the kickstand. Use the suspension to help you when transporting a bike.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Don't U-Hauls have tie downs on the sides? Just put it up front, tie it down. If you have a couch and a love seat, but the couch on the long side of the bike and the love seat on the short end. Couch/love seat being squishy would protect the bike from the little movement you will have during the move. If no couch, then mattress or something. just make sure you tie down everything else.

else, there are shipping companies that will take care of the bike for you.
+1 This is exactly how I moved my old shadow.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I moved my sv from dc down to clarksville tn on a uhual.
It was easy and I had my car also on a trailer on back...

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know several people who used U-haul to move their bikes. What they ended up doing was buying a baxley (or a similar off brand, no harbor freights though haha)

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html

and just loading the bike in it inside the uhaul. They also would take some straps and tie it as best as possible to the side railings of the uhaul. The chock holds it in place very well according to them. They would check it every so often and it worked out great!. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
55 Posts
you should be able to fit all three bikes on the 5x9. put the first 2 on forward and to the side as far as possible. then roll the other onto the trailer backward and close the gate. strap it down.

and baxley chocks are the chit

·
Registered
394 Posts
i know i am bring this back from the dead, but

will a SV fit in a 4x8 uhual closed trailer?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I would assume the SV would fit in the U-haul 4x8 closed trailer as my SV Naked fits in my HF 4x8 trailer with room to spare on all sides. The only question I see is height-wise. How tall is the trailer inside versus bike highest point? You can probably remove anything sticking up off the bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
ok thanks, this will make things easyer for a quick trip with my family, then I can ride with them and then Ride back to Augusta on my bike while they stay at the beach

1 - 12 of 12 Posts