·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it a four stroke?

Being serious now, I wouldn't do it. 50k only had for 3 months, the hiccup? Sounds like kind of a valve problem, my friends bike had a FI bike, GSXR600 or something like that. and his exhaust valve was burnt, and the computer was making up for the weird-ness of a burnt valve. and it would die when he was idling for some reason, also could be gummed up Fuel injectors. doubt it tho. the guy on KSL said he took it to the dealer and they found nothing. OF COURSE.

I'd have a feeling its gonna cost a little more then $1000 for repairs with this one. unless he can tell you exactly what is wrong with the stalling out, I wouldn't do it. It can be a 5$ repair or a $5,000.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It doesn't seem like a bad idea. You should be able to replace the whole engine with ECU for under a thousand, I'd think.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
For 2K I don't really see how you can lose. If you find out it is an expensive repair you can part the bike and luggage out for 4-5K.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks peeps, I think I'll go for it (already have wife's approval :D).

Worst case scenario, I'll have to get a new engine ($800) and/or a new ECU ($300).

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I think RandyO would be the resident expert, but I say buy it then go over to ADVRider or Stromtrooper. The DL1000 has had some interesting electrical issues crop up across the range, but nothing that isn't fixable. You should be able to turn a profit on the bike if you don't intend on keeping it long.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
If you do end up needing an engine...the SV-strom is the way to go.:) More power everywhere and a stronger clutch basket to boot. Just save the DL hub and put it in the SV basket and you'll be good to go.

Will be interesting to see what the 'hiccup' turns out to be!

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did I mention I didn't get it? Yah, someone else beat me to it.

Anyway, I have my mind set already and I am definitely getting one in the next few months. Too bad it may not be for only a couple G.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting a 2006 with 20,000 miles today!!! :panic:

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Awesome....PICS NOW

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm getting a 2006 with 20,000 miles today!!! :panic:
Sweeeeet! Pics please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Before pics, let me tell you the story.

The current owner didn't do the valve adjustment 5k ago when he had to. It turns out that he was riding on a very dirty/dusty road and the air filter was not properly placed so LOTS of dirt started being sucked into the motor. Valves bent, cam chain broke and now the engine is kaput.

The bike is now sitting at the local Ducati shop. CO does not have the time/money/patience to deal with it so he's selling it to me for $1,800. I already saw the bike and it is in perfect condition (other than a busted motor) so we're bringing it home later today.

1,800 + 800 for a motor with less than 25,000 miles (easy mount in my garage) and I get a perfectly awesome 2006 VStrom for less that 3 grand.

Oh, hard cases, power outlet, off-road handlebar and engine guard are included ;D

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
looks like you have a sweet find there.

Just don't ignore La Negra to much now. SV's have feelings too you know.
Oh no, La Negra will still be my daily baby. BigStrom will be for longer adventures with wife. :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts