Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

New guy here (and former R1 owner ;D).

I have my eyes on an 05' w/12k. The bike was tech owned and has new chain + sprockets and clean as all hell.

Also has:

1. Stock SV clip-on bars w/Woodcraft rearsets.
2. Full Titanium M4 exhaust with TI mid pipe.
3. Braided brake lines with GSXR master cylinder.
4.Integrated LED signals front and rear.
5. Solo hard tail and rear seat, Stomp grip, with Harris quick release fuel cap and frame sliders.

I can get it for $3200. I think its a decent deal, but I wanted to check with the pros!

The guy that's selling is a great person to work with, he owns a repair shop and does fantastic work.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought a 03' with 23k on it, and it was stock. Paid $2200 for it, I'd say with the add on's and lower miles... It's a good deal for yours! Like said, be careful of who you buy from.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds a bit high. I would definitely negotiate with the guy. When I bought mine I had offered the guy 1300 a month before and was willing to go to 1600. Then one day he comes up to me and says he'll sell it to me for a grand! SOLD... Never hurts to try and any money saved up front can be put back into the bike for upgrades or riding gear. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is the haggled price haha.

He did check and adjust the valves recently also.

I know its not a great price, but I like the idea of a bike that's fresh and ready to ride. Just so long as im not paying WAY above what I should be for this year with upgrades.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That is the haggled price haha.

He did check and adjust the valves recently also.

I know its not a great price, but I like the idea of a bike that's fresh and ready to ride. Just so long as im not paying WAY above what I should be for this year with upgrades.
Now that I think about it I would offer him $2800. I was pricing mine and $2900-3k were what most were going for newer, with low miles in great condition..

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are able to establish a relationship with him he may be able to teach you things that are far more valuable than the price you pay for a bike. If he is as knowledgeable as you indicate then he knows the value of his bike and you've got to respect him for it.

I had this experience when I bought my first bike, perhaps I paid a little more than I could have haggled - but it was an investment that pays great dividends - the guy is now a dear friend and he has taught me a vast amount. Helps to know/trust a good bike shop too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Where are you located? What goes at one price in one area, doesn't indicate it will in another.

With that said...for my area...a bit high. I picked mine up at a grand higher, 3 years newer, and less than half that mileage...WITH warranty. ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
The different cover I wouldn't think an issue. The missing clutch/shift cover would be an issue for me personally. The lack of bar ends, chain guard and rear pegs would also tweak me a bit....but negotiating tools I'd use. I'm assuming the tail fender eliminator has light/signals and are just out of view?

You have plenty of room to negotiate a lower price, IMO.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Price seems good for an asking price. Most would be asking 4k+ I go by nada, and that bike is on the high end, but it has what some would consider to be desirable mods. So if it's as clean as described, and the buyer wants those mods, it works out well. Better deals do exist, but as we all know, buying a bike comes down to more than just price.

It sounds like the OP knows the bike's owner well enough, and sometimes that can increase the value of the bike to a particular buyer. Knowing the bike has been maintained well is a benefit to many, including myself. (I "overpaid" for my CRF230, because I knew the original owner, and the thing was pretty much brand new)

However, the different side cover is cause for question, not necessarily concern yet. Maybe the guy just wanted a black one. And the missing sprocket cover might be lying around somewhere. Default, If you know the guy, voice your concerns and see what he comes up with. I wouldn’t be turned away just yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts