Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a situation where I bought a 03 copper svs from a girl I found on Cycle Trader. Drove to get it with money down and the credit union (CU) was working on completing the drill. The problem came when the girl provided the payoff amount to the CU and wasn't getting a "payoff amount" from her lienholder. When I picked up the bike it had no license plate? I asked and she said she took them off for some reason, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'm going to e-mail her right after this... Anyway, The CU doesn't get the payoff amount so that the paperwork can be finished until 2+ weeks after I've been driving the bike around my neighborhood very pissed about the situation. So then at the bank the loan officer tells me at signing that it'll be 5-7 days until I get my plates and I'm still really pissed, but at least there's a light. Weeeell, when it gets around to day 6 I give her a call. Apparently it's 5-7 days after they get the title from the time they make the payment, which takes two weeks!!!!, that I get plates. Arggghhh! So it's now been several more rides around the neighborhood and I called back at 1 week 2 days and its still not there, yeah I know it's not two weeks, but it seems like it. Sooooo, anyone ever let thereself fall into this horrible void? Any ideas how I could get some paper plates? I asked the CU and they said I have to wait.

·
Registered
290 Posts
All we need here in Bama is the title and a bill of sale to get plates.

Where do you live?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check the local DMV. In most states you can get temporary tags with a bill of sale and paperwork from the lienholder showing that the purchase is in progress.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You think that's bad!?!?

I had to wait over 6 mos. for plates because the person I bought if from took that long to pay off the lien holder.

And I put thousands of miles on my SV in that time(pulled over twice...no ticket). 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Texas, and been_j - no plates at all?!

Thanks, I'll call the DMV tomorrow. Should have just from common sense.

·
Registered
301 Posts
knee-dragger777 said:
Where do you live?
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE LOCATION UNDER EACH POSTER!?!?!?! 

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just got back (literally like JUST got back) from dealing with a very similar issue.

I recently traded bikes with someone out of state. The bike came without plates, registration or title (being shipped separate).

I was planning on leaving for a trip down the coast, but didn?t want to deal with getting pulled over for no plate and trying to convince a cop that this out of state bike with no reg., no plate, no nothing wasn?t stolen.

Went to the DMV with a faxed copy of the registration (apparently a pencil tracing of the VIN would have worked too), my ID and my insurance policy number. They were able to issue a 20-day trip permit for $20, thus making me legal

Something you may want to think about.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I purchased my bike out of state too, and didn't have a truck or trailer to bring it back, so I had to borrow my friend's old plates for the trip home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts