Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I learned on an 05 SV650 and then moved on to an 08 gsxr 750 for the street.....and now two years later I am itching to get another sv for track use. I had always thought i would get anoter 2nd gen but came across a nice deal on a 01 one owner sv650s with about 8,000 miles for $1,200....please let me know if you would jump on his deal or wait for a deal on a 2nd gen...

my concerns are for parts in the event this bike needs repairs.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Long story short I learned on an 05 SV650 and then moved on to an 08 gsxr 750 for the street.....and now two years later I am itching to get another sv for track use. I had always thought i would get anoter 2nd gen but came across a nice deal on a 01 one owner sv650s with about 8,000 miles for $1,200....please let me know if you would jump on his deal or wait for a deal on a 2nd gen...

my concerns are for parts in the event this bike needs repairs.

thanks!
For $1200 with miles that low I would say go for it as long as it is in decent shape.

Beat on it for a couple of years, then sell it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
parts are too hard to get ,1200 bad deal, just send me the sellers info,please.

any pics and what condition is the bike in, 1200 is a good price for a running sv, any title problems?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Unless the bike is beat on or not running, that asking price is about half what the bike is worth.

Parts -- no problem.

Really, $1,200 for a working track bike, and, you have to ask? If you don't get it, at least post the seller's contact info, as there's probably a dozen or more ready buyers right here.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well needless to say that bike was already sold....i came across another that i am looking at on sunday...its a 2005 sv650s, 12,000 miles, salvage title with damage to front fairing and a small tank dent....it will need chain sprox and tires....i talked the guy down to $1,900....what do u think?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Not as good a deal as the first one, but okay (assuming no other mechanical problems). Is it track-ready with good tires and brakes?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Might be worth it if you check it out in person and verfiy that was the only damage. A tank and fairings can be easily replaced. Frame damage, not so much.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grr...it will need tires, chain, sprockets, frame sliders. He bought it three years ago. How big of a factor is the salvage title? So if i calc right im looking at
1,900 bike
200 tires
150 chain sprox
70 sliders
400 fairings
So 2,620...minimum for a track ready bike......how much could i get for a damaged nose fairing and mint headlights?

·
Registered
905 Posts
if it's a track bike, what does a salvage title mean? So long as you don't use public roads, you don't even need to register it.
Tires for the track are going to cost a bit more than $200 me thinks...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Grr...it will need tires, chain, sprockets, frame sliders. He bought it three years ago. How big of a factor is the salvage title? So if i calc right im looking at
1,900 bike
200 tires
150 chain sprox
70 sliders
400 fairings
So 2,620...minimum for a track ready bike......how much could i get for a damaged nose fairing and mint headlights?
If it was my money, I'd wait and buy a nice track ready SV for $2500.

Does the bike you're looking at have the following:

Race Fairings
Penske Shock
Springs & Emulators in the Forks
Rearsets
Clipons
520 Kit
Stainless Steel Brake LInes
Race brake pads

Be patient, and you can find a solid SV track only bike for 2500. Buying a 'cheap' bike and upgrading it to true track standard will always cost you thousands more than buying a track ready bike.

I've built them and bought them and it is AWLAYS cheaper to buy a track ready bike, provided you know what you're looking for.

Be ready to buy, and be prepared to drive a good distance to buy the right bike. When you see it, strike.

And I wouldn't sweat 1st vs 2nd gen. Parts are still pretty easy to come by for 1st gens.

JMHO

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I bought a bike

2006 SV650s with 21,000 miles
valves and plugs done at 18,000
chopped yoshi exhaust
a bunch of touring wiring and extra lights
overall it good condition with clean title...never down
only problems are one tank dent and a little rash on the nose fairing from a tipover.
and the tach doesnt show the rpms properly...not sure what that indicates yet...

I paid 2,200! :) I didnt even haggle with the man his phone was rinning off the hook lol.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3200529725.html

So i have most of a gsxr front end already so i will start to part out the front end for my s to n conversion. Just a heads up that a bunch of clean sv650s front end parts are about to show up in the for sale section.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Sounds like ya got a good deal. :)

Congrats!

Btw, my bike has a salvage title and I have insurance. Liability, but that sounded a little misleading.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I say it's too far gone to fix. A bad tachometer is indicative of an imbalance in the bike's flux capacitor or medichlorine count. But I'll take it off your hands for cheap, just to give it a quiet resting place...

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you don't love working on them or really want to learn from working one a lot you'll be better off buying one that is good to go. Trust me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts