Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 100% love my gladius, it really is the perfect do it all bike. My use for the bike is commuting 18 non highway miles each way and touring (under 300 mile a day) with my wife who has a vstar 950. My problem I guess you could say is that i enjoy riding the bike at a spirited pace. What this causes is two things, I constantly out pace her when we are touring and when I'm alone I go through the twisties way too fast( just ask the nice men in blue I meet). I'm not sure i want to get ride of the gladius, but my thought was to try a cruiser so that when I'm pushing the bike, its not nearly as fast as the gladius. I tried her vstar and the power was adequate and the handling while numb wasn't as bad as I had feared. The brakes were absolutely horrible though. I was looking for advice on cruisers to try that are responsive as far as cruisers go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I haven't had a chance to ride it, but my friend raves about his V-Rod

...You might want to think about letting your wife lead.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
If you want a relatively cheap cruiser experience, I hear Honda Magna's are a good choice. I've been surprised to find both proponents and detractors of the Magna on this forum alone.

Basically, V4 engine from the VFR750 in a classic cruiser package. Spend a few hundred upgrading the brakes and suspension (both of which probably haven't been taken care of) and you have a great cruiser that you can still go fast on.

And yes, I know you said you wanted to slow down. Screw that. Upgrade your wife's skillset next!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Advice? You're kidding, right? You have a bike that you love and you want to get a bike that you don't and won't like because you aren't capable of controlling yourself to ride at a pace that is comfortable for your wife. Am I missing something?

Is it really that hard to respect your wife enough to ride at her pace when you are riding with her? Or at least let her know where you will stop up ahead and wait for her?

There may be a number of good reasons to get an extra bike, but I don't see one here.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I came to the sportbike from a cruiser....Kawasaki Vulcan. My husband and I rode everywhere together...he on his Bandit 1200. He would get squirrely on me, but always allowed me to catch up. What he did while riding alone, didn't bother me...it was HIS ride then.

Now, one day I rode his Bandit when my Kaw was acting up....I didn't go back to a cruiser since!

Maybe you changing bikes isn't the solution....maybe your wife would love the ride of your bike and want a change? Just an idea.

Personally, I would ride at her pace when together...and enjoy my own when on my own. I wouldn't change bikes.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Suggestion on a cruiser?....V-Max! You'll still leave the missus behind...but it's a fun ride! I've been entertaining the thought of getting one myself...:)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Moto Guzzi California. It only looks like a cruiser.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You'll still outrun her. Make her get better and let me her lead

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Its just not in her to ride fast. Some people have different tolerances for speed, it shows up when she drives her truck and snowmobile too.

Advice? You're kidding, right? You have a bike that you love and you want to get a bike that you don't and won't like because you aren't capable of controlling yourself to ride at a pace that is comfortable for your wife. Am I missing something?

Is it really that hard to respect your wife enough to ride at her pace when you are riding with her? Or at least let her know where you will stop up ahead and wait for her?

There may be a number of good reasons to get an extra bike, but I don't see one here.
To each is their own opinion , but that doesn't mean you need to have such an attitude when some one has a different opinion. I'd appreciate more respect from you. I respect her enough to want to bring myself down to a pace that works for her. We have blue tooth headsets that we both use so its advantageous to stay relatively close together. When we switched bikes, I was amazed how much fun her cruiser was at a slower pace, that is what spurred my idea. Plus who says I won't love a cruiser, I didn't mind hers, I just wanted suggestions that provide a bit more performance than hers.

I came to the sportbike from a cruiser....Kawasaki Vulcan. My husband and I rode everywhere together...he on his Bandit 1200. He would get squirrely on me, but always allowed me to catch up. What he did while riding alone, didn't bother me...it was HIS ride then.

Now, one day I rode his Bandit when my Kaw was acting up....I didn't go back to a cruiser since!

Maybe you changing bikes isn't the solution....maybe your wife would love the ride of your bike and want a change? Just an idea.

Personally, I would ride at her pace when together...and enjoy my own when on my own. I wouldn't change bikes.

We have swapped bikes and the we both matched pace much better, its just she's not a fan or sport bikes. I would love to get her on another gladius or sv650, but I don't see her being content.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
353 Posts
Plus who says I won't love a cruiser...
My dad said something similar at the beginning of this year. He ended up having a cruiser for less than 6 months. They're not for everybody. And when you starting bringing up the word 'performance', well, remember that it means very different things between cruisers and standards+sportbikes.

I still agree with those who say the problem is you, not your bike. You can easily bring down the pace on your SFV. There is no need to get a cruiser unless you just really want one. And it doesn't sound like you really want one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still agree with those who say the problem is you, not your bike. You can easily bring down the pace on your SFV. There is no need to get a cruiser unless you just really want one. And it doesn't sound like you really want one.
I'm not denying the problem is me haha, it just may be easier to change bikes than change me. I've always been jealous of the low rpm torque of cruisers and they do need to be muscled through the corners more, so for a given speed you need to work harder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Cruisers, many anyway, have poor ground clearance and limited lean in corners. It's not a matter of muscling the bike through the corners, but not be able to take them at a pace that you are used to. You should really try to take out a Triumph classic twin, either the Bonnie or the America/Speedmaster. Flat torque curve, handle very well in the curves, but you don't necessarily feel the need to roost every turn.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
cruiser riding makes me sleepy
Yeah my mother in law hates riding on her husbands Harley. He has it rigged so that she can nod off and not fall off the back. I get that you were probably making a joke but it reminded me of that. I can't see why a man would make a woman ride on a bike for many thousands of miles (usually all at once) when she clearly hates it.

454~ I've kinda given up on asking people to play nice around here. The level of maturity and mutual respect is very lacking at times and that's pretty much that. Otoh some people may seem pretty caustic ,yet I don't think they really mean any harm. Roll with it and you'll make some good friends. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you just want a cruiser, I'm partial to the Vulcan 900's. They just look good. I had a V-Star 1100 for several years and it was a good bike with plenty of low end. Basically anything in the 1100 range shouldn't be too anemic, but you'll run into the problem of outpacing her still.

If you just want her to keep up with you, don't shift past 3rd gear

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Don't downgrade. Upgrade her. Bigger boobs, smaller thighs....oh, wait.

Make her a better rider. I'm one of those that moved 'up' from cruisers and I don't miss it at all. I'll get a cruiser in the future, but that's only because the missus likes riding on the back of her dad's Harley.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.