Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was meeting friends to attend a small gathering/party out in the countryside today. Little did I know, one hell of the storm was preparing to sweep the area. Due to bad directions, I couldn't find the area and I was forced to search for the landmarks given to me in the directions. While searching, the storm decided to show it's ugly face, in the form of a giant white wall of rain. I had anticipated inclimate weather, so I already had all my rain gear on.

Winds went form literally nothing to 70-80 mph gusts as I was pelted with rain and hail. There was no shelter to seek, so I continued my search. Oddly, I was having a blast (I find my favorite time to ride is in the rain actually...). With only 10 feet of visibility and winds hammering at my cycle's cross section, it was pain. Somehow I managed to dodge a porta-john that that came barreling across the road.

Lightning strikes were close and numerous, many trees were struck - some falling right in front of my path. Some were laid across the road and I was forced to drive over them.

I ended up finding the gathering after 15 minutes of searching in this awful weather. Unfortunately, it was 4 miles back into a plot of land - the only access was a dirt trail with large rocks scattered across it's path. So now that I braved what the road threw at me, I had to take the SV off road. I forded small streams about 2 and half feet deep and traversed paths covered 6 inches deep in mud. The Avon Azarro ST's are certainly not intended for this. The front end continued to wash out numerous times, but I never dumped the bike - the SV is suprisingly good off road :D.

You should have seen the ginormous smile on my face. It's time to buy a KLR . :)

When I located the gathering, the tents had been blown over by the storm and many of the people were huddle under a re-erected, yet still crippled tent.

So, I think the adventure touring bug has bitten, and bitten hard. I had so much fun navigating the dirt trail and best of all, I didn't have to attain illegal speeds to do so. So, now my search for KLR grows even more serious. Anyone else on this site into adventure touring? I am very uneducated in this part of motorcycling, but I'm guessing that having good gear is 90% of concerns.

Buell release pictures of their new adventure tourer:

Looks like they bumped up the fuel capacity to 4.4 gallons. They have a few revisions to the other models as well...

W

·
0 Posts
Alrighty then.....

Ooooh, the problems I see with the buell there for an actuall adventure touring bike. First, usd forks? Even with guards that would make me nervous. Then there is the underside exhuast with no way to mount a skid plate. Wonder how comforable it is as well? How 'bout that front rotor and then the belt drive in dirt and mud? Ok, last bubble burster...... Gotta wonder how close the price is to a BMW R1200GS which is considered by way many to be the king of adventure touring?

Sorry, don't mean to pee in the corn flakes. Check out www.advrider.com, you will find more than enough information on the subject you seek. Adventure touring has always interested myself as well. Which bike you really chose depends on how you are going to use it and how much you want to spend as well as your style in manufactures, as with anything you buy of course.

Dan

·
Registered
313 Posts
sounds like you had quite the adventure :p Having ridden through torrential rain conditions and fording flooded streets as nervous cage drivers look in amazement, i can completely understand where you are coming from. Utter uncontrolable smiling.

The buell picture looks ok for the job except for a couple of things, first off the exhuast location is gonna cause problems in fording anything deeper than a very shallow creek, second reliability is key and buell doesn't have a solid reputation in that area. I will say to its credit that is a seriously bad ass looking ride :shock:

I'm pretty sure my next bike will be an adventure touring style, as soon as i can get my legs to grow a couple more inches :roll: so i can touch the ground. :(

*just a note, on my maybe one day as a long distance bike list is the good 'ole DL1000 which can be had for cheap off of ebay. Some of the guys over at http://stromtrooper.com/ have adventure touring experience, so might be worth a read if you're looking* edit

·
Registered
551 Posts
dude...i got caught in that same f-ing storm! only i didnt have ANY gear. helmet is broke, so iwas wearing my backwards hat and eye goggles, t-shirt, and pants. 5 min in that sh!t really sucked! made it to my friends house and threw all my clothes in the dryer.
but yeah...that was one hell of a t-storm!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
spuds said:
helmet is broke, so iwas wearing my backwards hat and eye goggles
ha!

·
Registered
22 Posts
spuds said:
dude...i got caught in that same f-ing storm! only i didnt have ANY gear. helmet is broke, so iwas wearing my backwards hat and eye goggles, t-shirt, and pants. 5 min in that sh!t really sucked! made it to my friends house and threw all my clothes in the dryer.
but yeah...that was one hell of a t-storm!

SQUID!!! LOL, I'm just playin

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
several thousand of the 115k miles on my Sv have been off road

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have several bikes and if I had to part with all but one, I'd keep the KLR. It's a great long distance tourer, is decent off-road for a bike of its weight, and is the easiest bike to work on that I've ever seen.

Many people like the DL650 and DL1000 also. Personally, the KLR is at the maximum weight I want for off-pavement use. I don't want the extra weight of a twin off-pavement. But if most of your "adventure" is paved, or good gravel and dirt roads, then the V-Strom would have advantages.

Out west where I live, most of the fun is not accessible via paved roads. And Mexico/Canada and beyond always beckon for extended trips. I'm a big fan of reliable adventure bikes.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just pointing out Buell's new addition - not saying I was considering it. I'm sold on a KLR.

The DL650 is too on-road based. The front header is very vunerable and the suspension seems like it wouldn't have enough travel. The KLR seems much more suited to off-road. Wisconsin has quite a few off-road trails from what I hear, and I'd also like to go up into Canada. I've heard the KLR gets great gas mileage and has a pretty large tank compared to other dual sports.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I get 50+ mpg on mine. Supposed to have a 6 gallon tank, but I don't know anyone who has been able to get all 6 out of it. Mine hits reserve at about 240 miles. That's still pretty good. Larger aftermarket IMS fuel tanks are available, but frankly, I don't need any more weight up high.

I love my KLR. The only other bike I'd consider if I were back in the dual sport market would be Suzuki's DR650SE. I like the idea of an air-cooled bike. I also hear it's a little better in the dirt. But the stock fuel tank is smaller and there are al whole lot more KLRs on the road: bigger aftermarket, larger user community. The KLR online forums are the only ones that rival the SV online community for info and quality of folk, in my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts