Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am in dire need of tightening the chain. From just a visual inspection I can tell its at the maximum amount of slack all the way throughout the chain and I've been watching the canyon chasers video on adjusting the chain and also reading the forums and let me specify my concerns:

Firstly, I've managed to gather that my 08 model has no cotter pin and if im not mistaken a completely different axle? (or just axle nut) layout, where its just two bolts and the rectangular plate (no washer?) Which many say is a real pain in the ass and some have even gone so far as to switch their's(hardware? complete axle+nuts assembly?) out for an earlier model WITH the cotter pin for ease of use.

This really concerns me because if it is a good idea to switch the parts out it is something i'll do, and wait to adjust the chain until i can get the necessary parts to do it.

My question is, is it really better to replacce the hardware of the 08 axle+nuts to one with the cotter pin (and what year model would I be looking for? 2007? anything BUT 2008? i just found this out and its kinda ticked me off)

And also, what all parts do i get? Just nuts? axle AND nuts? I'm at a loss here and kinda irked -_-;;

-exh

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
You should be okay with simply loosening (don't completely unscrew) the nylock nut and adjusting your chain for now. Torque it properly, of course.

After that, it's up to you. The nylock nut is supposed to provide enough friction to keep from backing off. I imagine you'll at least need rear axle and nut if you switched.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so the reason 08's dont have a cotter pin is because they use nyloc nuts. that makes sense. (i was first introduced to nyloc nuts in the hardware on a skateboard) but i was under the impression that you had to replace the nuts every so often (after say, 5 uses) do these 20mm+ size bolts get expensive to replace?

Has anyone ever replaced them? Also should there be a washer between the nut and the rectangular plate? I was looking at another thread and the guy who tried to remove his nut had the plate dig a deep scratch into his swinger and i dont want to scratch mine like that. (many suggested using a wrench on both sides)

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
I don't know. I have an '05 with the castle nut and cotter pin. :D

I imagine replacing the large nylock axle nut every time you adjusted the chain would get expensive fast, but maybe....every time you change a street tire?

I don't think there's a washer back there on my bike, for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
120 Posts
here in the UK we have had the nylock nuts for ages now and no one has died from a rear wheel coming loose. just torque it up and away you go and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Easier and less expensive to get a torque wrench for peace of mind. I have an '08 and I adjusted my chain in around five minutes a week ago, I thought it was easy until I read this thread and realized it was a problem :p

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yup, even on my 05 thats one thing I always torque, even though I'm guily of not torquing alot of bolts/nuts.

I think its right around 75 ft/lbs, but double check (on an 05).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run the holeshot hd axle nut, and it doesn't have a cotter pin hole either. Works great and doesn't come loose when you torque to 72 ft/lbs. The first time you overtighten the castellated nut and strip the threads on the axle, you'll understand. If you get worried about it, you could always drill it and use safety wire.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
I have removed the axle on my '08 a total of eight times and adjusted the chain as needed.
In 12,000 miles I've never seen any loosening. I torque to 70 and put matching dots on the axle and nut for an easy visual check.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't have an '08 manual, but I just checked the '03 and it says 100nm aka 72ft pounds. I have been riding around with it torqued to 45 ft pounds, and it has been fine, no loosening or movement. :dizzy:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep. 72 ft/lbs if you have a solid nut. If you use the one that has the notches for cotter pin, you only go to the much lower torque. It's because you'll make the nut skip a thread and strip the axle. It has less material to hold it together vs. a solid nut. Ask me how I know. Lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts