Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took my bike to the ol' MSF parking lot today to brush up on my skills. I've had the SV for about 6 months now after having ridden a '96 Bandit 600 for several years. While I was working on my slow-speed maneuvering, I noticed during very tight right hand turns (with the bars locked as far as they would go to the right) that I was almost completely unable to adjust the throttle because the palm of my right hand would hit the tank with even the slightest twist.

I brought the bike home and searched the forums for about a half hour looking for tips on adjusting the stock clip-ons and didn't really find much, so I whipped out a 10 mm wrench and went outside to see if I could make some minor adjustments.

Once I loosened the clip-on bolts, they would only move about 1/16 of an inch either way. I lowered them down a bit and found a little nub that fits inside a divot on the underside of the upper triple tree. I'm not sure why that nub is there other than to make it easy to assemble the clip-ons at the "correct" angle.

I left them lowered about a quarter inch so I could rotate the clip-ons freely and then rotated them outward a bit (checking clearance against the fairing and tank) and then tightened them.

In addition to providing a bit more clearance for my palm when the bars are locked full-right, the new angle feels much, much better on my wrists.

My questions:
Is it ok to have the clip-ons lowered a 1/4 inch from the underside of the triple tree, and is it ok to have adjusted them like I did so the nub is no longer locked inside the triple tree divot? All the aftermarket clip-ons I've seen for sale don't seem to have that little nub so I'm assuming it's ok...

Thanks for any tips or advice!

Some pictures:
The nub in question:

New clip-on angle:

Full-right:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
As long as the bolts are torqued down and you use some blue loctite on them I don't see why it would be a problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think you need loctite on them tho.. they don't have it from the factory so no need for it now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Lowering the bars is not a problem at all. And I'm with you -- the sweep-back of most bar set-ups is very uncomfortable. I'm working on a set-up now that will have little sweep, but a lot of down angle.

ETA -- that handlebar mod didn't work for a variety of reasons... But I'm still with you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a lil' update for those that might be wondering -- The ride to work this morning was WAY more comfortable. I don't mind the general pressure on my wrists as I try to hang on with my thighs to keep my arms loose and relaxed anyway. The angle now is much better. The stock angle just tweaked my wrists the wrong way and could make longer rides hell. I didn't really notice the 1/4" drop, but I definitely noticed the added comfort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts