Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't for the life of me turn either of the spring tensioners. I've tried it with the leverage tool as well and it will not budge. Are you supposed to compress the springs before you turn them? I had an easy time with the rear but the front just seems not possible. Its at stock preload so it shouldn't be maxed out.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I can't for the life of me turn either of the spring tensioners. I've tried it with the leverage tool as well and it will not budge. Are you supposed to compress the springs before you turn them? I had an easy time with the rear but the front just seems not possible. Its at stock preload so it shouldn't be maxed out.
You're using a flat-head screwdriver, right? I hope you're not using a 24mm hex socket wrench.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
speaking of this does anyone have the chart that tells you what the preload should be compared to the rider's weight?

my used '03 svs did not come with a manual

i know i should have asked for one when i purchased it but i was too excited to be getting the bike and it didnt even cross my mind
:BangHead:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad they didn't move (the fork caps). I got out a flat head and just about banged my head off the wall with how easy it was. :BangHead:

I just sorta figured the bolts would have to be huge to compress the spring, and it sorta looks like the whole cap spins around that center bolt.

Ah well... no harm done except my pride :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
FWIW I'm about 190 pounds geared up, and when I had the last groove even with the large nuts (i.e. adjuster screw all the way down) it seemed the front end was a bit "springy". With the last groove exposed and the next groove even with the large nuts I'm fairly happy. As delivered from the dealer (i.e. two grooves above the nuts, the third groove even with the large nuts) I felt the front end was diving more than I cared for on hard stops. YMMV.

Paladin

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
FWIW I'm about 190 pounds geared up, and when I had the last groove even with the large nuts (i.e. adjuster screw all the way down) it seemed the front end was a bit "springy". With the last groove exposed and the next groove even with the large nuts I'm fairly happy. As delivered from the dealer (i.e. two grooves above the nuts, the third groove even with the large nuts) I felt the front end was diving more than I cared for on hard stops. YMMV.

Paladin
You'd probably benefit from stiffer springs. Not that expensive (around $100) or hard to do, assuming you can support the front end somehow.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Guys, preload is to set sag, not stiffen the suspension. Look up "how to set sag."

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
So for the preload setting do I set the two on the front that are flat head or do I set it with something else? I noticed somebody mentioned it is in the middle?
I don't know if you've read this thread at all, but

GAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Put it down!!! You're overtightening the fork caps. The slot in the middle is to adjust preload. Just use the flat-head and clockwise to increase, counter to decrease.
and

·
Registered
130 Posts
Okay so I already have a manual....what am I missing then for tighting up the preload? I want to set it to 5 for the stiffest I thought based on my manual and the picture I am doing the right thing. I see a slot on top for a straight screw driver head along with markings. The original marking show 3 rings just like the manual and when I changed it to 5 rings it is stiffer but then I read through and folks may have tightened things up in the wrong spot...not sure if others read my earlier post and understood it.

Also for the center I don't see a flat head slot, just a dial looking piece. This is my first motorcycle at age 30 so please bear with me folks. :)

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Okay so I already have a manual....what am I missing then for tighting up the preload? I want to set it to 5 for the stiffest I thought based on my manual and the picture I am doing the right thing. I see a slot on top for a straight screw driver head along with markings. The original marking show 3 rings just like the manual and when I changed it to 5 rings it is stiffer but then I read through and folks may have tightened things up in the wrong spot...not sure if others read my earlier post and understood it.

Also for the center I don't see a flat head slot, just a dial looking piece. This is my first motorcycle at age 30 so please bear with me folks. :)
Maybe you can post a picture?

We are only talking about the front right?

I am a little confused as to what you want to know.

The zero setting (flush with top of forks) is the highest preload setting - good for heavies riders.
The 5th position is the lightest preload setting - good for lighter riders.

If you are out of the range of 130-170ish then you might want to consider different fork springs.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Paladin
Being a larger individual I feel your pain. As other's pointed out you need new springs that are set up for your weight. Just make sure you get the right springs. I found that race setup does not work well on the street. My bike that is 1/2 track bike / 1/2 street bike rides really harsh on the street with track setup. I wish I had something in the middle (for both street and track). Actually I might be getting rid of the race setup alltogether and getting something softer as I have another track bike now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts