Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I drive a Sentra. Laugh. :thefinger:

Now that that's out of the way, I hate my car, but until I'm ready to move up I have to deal with its shortcomings. The biggest one is the lack of cruise control. Driving to and from UT last year was a pain, to say the least. I'm not doing it again this year without cruise control.

I have been researching this for quite some time and I'm left with 3 options since the 2004+ Sentras are Drive-By-Wire.

1) Buy an aftermarket cable-pull system.
-- Cheap (less than $180)
-- ECM is out of the loop for speed control
-- Difficult install with a pedal-pull = not safe

2) Aftermarket Datalink system
-- Expensive (~$300)
-- moderate install but safe(r)
-- ECM is confused on pedal position (new cruise module does calculations and tells the ECM what to do to the throttle)

3) Replace all OEM non-cruise parts (ECM, add ASCD Brake Switch, add ASCD control switch)
-- Safest
-- Hard to find parts but cheap (~$150)
-- ECM does all calculations
-- OEM
-- May have to flash the ECU ROM to work with my car (unlikely)

I'm leaning toward 3 because I've found a new ECM for $100 (waiting on a response on another that's ~$70) and an ASCD switch (steering wheel mounted) for <$20. All I'll need is the brake switch (seperate from brake light switch). My car is pre-wired for all this crap too.

Nissan forums aren't any help (they say it's impossible to add cruise). I'll post up when I make the jump and go kick some Nissan Forum mods in the nuts.

I'm accepting any advice from anyone on SVRider, however.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh, I hate my Nissan. I can't imagine any Nissan being any better. I've thought about a new car, but I'm waiting until I'm in a better position to get the car I want... WRX ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you planning on installing yourself?

Option #2 is the best bet. They are expensive because Trilogics has the market cornered on them. They do work well and are easy to install though.

If you are interested in installing this yourself, let me know. I have one in stock and would flash it and send it to you for 10% over cost + shipping. I am not sure what my cost is right now, but I will check tomorrow.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you planning on installing yourself?

Option #2 is the best bet. They are expensive because Trilogics has the market cornered on them. They do work well and are easy to install though.

If you are interested in installing this yourself, let me know. I have one in stock and would flash it and send it to you for 10% over cost + shipping. I am not sure what my cost is right now, but I will check tomorrow.
Huh, awesome! I was intending on installing myself. I was mostly ruling #2 out for #3 because my budget isn't too high (I need new tires and a trailer to get the SV out to UT for my month there).

Send me a PM when you find out. I'll let you know if I can swing it.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
poosey. I drove from canada to san diego and back with no cruise control!! man the f--k up!

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
It sounds like quite a bit of labor to install all of the OEM stuff. Are the OEM controls on the steering column or elsewhere? You may want to research whether the wiring is already there on a not equipped car. Otherwise that will add a dimension of difficulty in adapting OEM equipment.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like quite a bit of labor to install all of the OEM stuff. Are the OEM controls on the steering column or elsewhere? You may want to research whether the wiring is already there on a not equipped car. Otherwise that will add a dimension of difficulty in adapting OEM equipment.
It does seem a bit intensive, but after the 4-day trip out to UT I made last year, I'm going to do everything I can to get CC. OEM controls are on the steering wheel, so I may need a new spiral cable. At the very least I'd need the wiring harness for the switch (2 wires), or just pull out my soldering iron. I did find a sentra that's being parted out. Anything I need could possible come from there. I suspect that on top of the switches, I may need the wiring harnesses for the brake switch and steering wheel switch.

I'll see what FatCat has to say about the 3rd-Party cruise price. If I can afford it I'll just go that route for the ease.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
As long as you are decent with wiring and have time even a lack of wiring wont be much of an issue...just a lot more time.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Four days? Slowpoke. I got from Palm Springs to DC in 41 hours. (15, 15, and 11 with terrible traffic AND rain on that last day). Back and forth, no cruise control. In a car with a suspension built for a track. +1 to MAN UP.

:p

Personally, if I had to add cruise control, I'd use the OEM equipment both because you said the wiring is in place and it's OEM so it'll have that stock look. I'd look at salvage cars and "part outs" from make/model forums.

If you go aftermarket, good luck, I've just never tried it. It can't be too difficult. :D

·
Registered
4,244 Posts

Funny you post that....a buddy of mine (phat pat on this forum) drove all the way through Kansas on a trip to Colorado with "The Club" wedged between the seat and the gas pedal....all the way to the floor. They were in an '89 or '90 S-10 that topped out somewhere in the neighborhood of 120....for 4-5 hours straight. ;D

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I don't know about your car, but on the Dodge Ram it's as easy as buying and installing the buttons on the steering wheel. (programming and underhood stuff is already there)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts