Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I want to add a bung on the FMF fully exhaust that should be coming Monday and after posting this question on BARF it has come to my attention this might be harder then I thought.

Currently the O2 Sensor is at the Y-pipe which I am assuming is the midpipe and it made out of Ti while the headers are stainless steel (confirming with the manufacturer, waiting for the reply). If I want to add a bung I would imagine it should go on the midpipe but since it is Ti I am a little hesitant since usually you match the bung material and the pipe material. What would happen if I put it on the header? The first thing that comes to mind is that now the O2 sensor is only reading one cylinder so the ECU will not adjust is anything happens to the first cylinder.

Also does anyone know the what size bung I need? (saw on the gladius thread that they use a M12x1.25) I see a lot of M18 online.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I welded a bung in my full Yoshi,I put it where the front and rear headers connect.
Sv650s, model 1999.Stainless steel headers,titanium canister.
I put it behind the rearset,fits nice.
Just make sure it's almost vertical,otherwise the sensor won't fit.
I don't know if SS and Ti are weld compatible.if not,just make a Ti bung.
Threading for sensor is M18x1.5

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that was a quick reply, I will look into it. Was really hoping not to drill into the Ti... but I will go to a shop to see what they say.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You'd want to put the bung after the exhaust streams join. If you end up with a titanium bung make sure you use some high temp anti-seize...titanium threads like to gall...

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a bung?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd want to put the bung after the exhaust streams join. If you end up with a titanium bung make sure you use some high temp anti-seize...titanium threads like to gall...
I am assuming the blue loctite is not a high temp one. A little concerned that would mean it will not come out if I have to use the red one.

So it seems the consensus on svrider and barf I will have to get a ti bung and weld it to ti midpipe. Now would anyone have a place they would recommend? Also any recommendation on how to mark the location?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Bung

Call your local moto performance shop and ask them if they have any and if they can weld it in. I would put it a few inches down stream of the merge at an angle that keeps it off the bottom of the pipe. Water=instant O2 sensor death.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am assuming the blue loctite is not a high temp one. A little concerned that would mean it will not come out if I have to use the red one.

So it seems the consensus on svrider and barf I will have to get a ti bung and weld it to ti midpipe. Now would anyone have a place they would recommend? Also any recommendation on how to mark the location?
No no, anti-seize not loctite!

This stuff
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LO...cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

This prevents the threads from welding together...functionally opposite from loctite :).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure any place you talk to knows you are working with Ti. I hazard a guess you will have a hard time finding someone able to do it. Aerospace fabricators would probably be a good place to start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, I will check with the shop that will be welding it. I am just hoping I can get the correct location marked on the pipe, thinking installing it first then marking the spot right behind the rear set. If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it.

ARATA, must say your write up and posting the sale on the FMF exhaust is awesome. Much appreciated, anyways about the welder who can do Ti. The nice people on BARF (bay area rider forum) informed me about advance welding and they helped me figure out the better bung shape though no quotation on how much it will cost. I am worried it will be really pricy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet, was checking around online and asked on a couple forums. This is my first time doing something like this and from what I read you would need special equipment to weld Ti.

So your recommendation would be to call around to see what other shops can do this kind of weld?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes, I would call around and ask different welding and exhaust shops. A TIG welder with the right shielding gas, filler rod, and tungsten is all that is needed. Just tell them you have a new titanium exhaust and you want to know if they can weld in an O2 bung and what it would cost off the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well might give that a try. When you mention "off the bike" cost I am assuming it means how much would it cost to do it on a bike with he exhaust installed right? I was planning on just installing the new exhaust and marking where the bung should go then bring the midpipe and the bung to the shop and have them weld it. Thought it would be a cheaper and easier solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So this shop a friend recommended in Redwood City did a great job. The only problem is the O2 sensor on the 09 is not M18 1.5 rather an M12 1.5 so it looks like I will look for a stainless steel thread reducer to solve this problem. I hope there will not be an expansion issue with two different materials.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I felt like completing this since there is not a lot of information out there.
1. I got the bung welded but I could not find a M12 x 1.25 titanium bung
2. After looking for a while for a thread reducer I found only one place that sells one
3. I had to cut the thread reducer with a dremel (hacksaw would work)

In the end lots of work and time to keep my O2 sensor but I hope my bike is happy :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts