Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Added too much oil

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jameswing 
#1 ·
When I changed my oil over the weekend I added a bit too much oil. Not much but enough that it's to the top of the sightglass when I think it's level. If I lean it a couple degrees it drops to within the range.

I used Rotella T & a Napa Filter, added about 2.3L started it up to get the filter filled, then added some more, Using the 1L mark on the bottle as the max measurement I stopped above the mark, and checked and it was at the current level.

I haven't had someone hold it with a level across the seat or anything yet. I'll prob do that soon. If I decide to drain some what is the best method? Loosen the filter a little? Use a turkey baster through the fill hole? or live with it?

On another note, why don't they put the sightglass so you can check it while on the sidestand? that way you would know it's in the correct position.

#2 ·
You don't need a level across the seat. that's taking it a bit far. just tilt it up by hand and look, it doesn't have to be exact.

They make sight glass work for the bike straight up and down because many people change the oil with the bike on a rear stand... some people who race don't have side stands.

anyways, I would just loosen the oil filter a little bit because I don't want my turkey tasting like Rotella next Thanksgiving (although it would probably work).

#8 ·
Joking about the level... I took It off the rearstand when I filled it b/c the rearstand tilts it forward, and I thought it would mess up the level in the sightglass.

yeah, the book says 2.9 with filter, what's another 1/10??
I added a little under 2.7 (going by the lines on the bottle) Must have been some left over in the oil cooler that didn't drain.

#3 ·
i just loosened the drain plug until it was right on the edge of comming off. then just slightly loosened it until it was not threaded and just held it next to the hole. after a little oil drained out into the catch pan i put it back in. just dont drop it or you might be adding a bunch more oil. and keep a towl near by incase you need it.

#9 ·
I haven't had someone hold it with a level across the seat or anything yet. I'll prob do that soon.

Joking about the level...
that contradiction gave me a good laugh. :laughing4:

seriously though, i wouldn't worry about it (i've heard of an SV at my dealer that had the oil topped off with the side-stand-----i'm sure your level is nowhere near his 5 quarts) The next time you change the oil that last 2.5 quarts you go through---pour slowly and watch the sight glass.

#11 ·
Ok, I'll just leave it.

seriously though, i wouldn't worry about it (i've heard of an SV at my dealer that had the oil topped off with the side-stand-----i'm sure your level is nowhere near his 5 quarts) The next time you change the oil that last 2.5 quarts you go through---pour slowly and watch the sight glass.
I had a friend (not mechanically inclined at all) do his own oil change on his mitsu truck before going on a road trip. After 20miles or so we had black smoke coming out of the engine bay, I opened it up and there was oil all over the place. He filled it to the top, and left the cap off.;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.