Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man........ I am gonna enjoy these weekends off........

Put anti-freeze in the Goat, Installed a tinted windscreen on the VFR......... and added a Aux Fuse Box on the VFR for future accessories ie: GPS, XM Radio, and maybe heated vest.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
neato!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Great Ideal, I think im gonna have to do that to. Im gonna build my bike this winter to be a sport king with touring tendencies. Gsxr forks and raceshop shock, and the provision for mucho luggage and gps accomodiations. This is definantly a great idea!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Hey, That's really cool Troy.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Ok dude, you can help me do electrical at any point!

Nice work Troy!

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys...... yeah...... it was easy, and came out nice.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Very cool... Looks a little big, though, if those are standard automotive blade fuses and not bike ones. i thought about grafting on another Suzuki fusebox to mine but decided to run relays into a single fat hot and neutral instead, for space reasons (though not simplicity!)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nice work. Those Blue Sea boxes are the cat's ass. Does the Viffer have a voltmeter? If not may want to think about one if installing heated gear or does the alt put out plenty of amps?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I was thinking of doing that if I added any more accessories, and powering it with a relay so it would only be powered when the key was on

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honda_Fan said:
Nice work. Those Blue Sea boxes are the cat's ass. Does the Viffer have a voltmeter? If not may want to think about one if installing heated gear or does the alt put out plenty of amps?
If the Viffer has one inherent problem...... its that pre-2000 models had rectifier problems. So most of the guys on the VFR board install volt meters.....

It was the first mod I did, even though I have a 2000 that should have the updated rectifier ;D

I am not gonna go crazy with heated gear anyway, probably just a heated vest... if anything.

·
Registered
330 Posts
67GTONUT said:
If the Viffer has one inherent problem...... its that pre-2000 models had rectifier problems. So most of the guys on the VFR board install volt meters.....

It was the first mod I did, even though I have a 2000 that should have the updated rectifier ;D

I am not gonna go crazy with heated gear anyway, probably just a heated vest... if anything.
I had heard about the problems but wasn't sure when they fixed it. Thanks for the info. I'm in a similar boat on my ST since I have a older one with the smaller alt. No heated gear for me besides my grips.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Looks great, and a great Idea too, but my electrically ignorant ass has no Idea how to do it. Heres a question, (as I said i have no electrical knowledge, or very little), would it be possible to install something like this on the SV and then somehow wire a converter to it so that I could power my DV cam off the bike rather than the battery? I wanna use a helmet cam, and keep my DV cam in the tankbag, and not have to worry about running out of battery life. Any Ideas guys. Sorry for thread jacking.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woody106 said:
Looks great, and a great Idea too, but my electrically ignorant ass has no Idea how to do it.  Heres a question, (as I said i have no electrical knowledge, or very little), would it be possible to install something like this on the SV and then somehow wire a converter to it so that I could power my DV cam off the bike rather than the battery?  I wanna use a helmet cam, and keep my DV cam in the tankbag, and not have to worry about running out of battery life.  Any Ideas guys.  Sorry for thread jacking.
As long as you have room under your seat, this can be done.

The wire on the left goes directly to the Neg term of battery.

The wire on the right goes directly to the positive term of battery. This wire has a fuse holder built into it. I installed a 30amp fuse to protect the rest of the bikes electrical system.

The 6 screws on the right(3 on top, 3 on bottom) are your where you hook the positive leads to your accessories.

The 6 screws on the left are where your negative leads attach to.

** warning - the way I have this hooked up - your accessories will be powered all the time, even with the bike off, you would have to turn off each accessory on its own to prevent a dead battery.

To prevent this, you would need to do as Randy said......... hook the positive thru a Relay, then when you turn the key to the On position, the relay will allow Aux Fuse Box to be powered.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Thanks Troy. But seeing as how my DV cam works off of AC, I would still need to install a converter, correct? Plus I would definitely want to run it through the relay.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Not necessarily. Your DV plugs into AC, but it's a DC battery.

There's a little "box" somewhere on the AC line for the DV, right? (either in the middle of the cord or on the plug side)

This converts the household AC down to the charging voltage, and then rectifies it to DC. So, really, you'd just probably need a small DC-DC converter to change the SV voltage and have the output match the charging voltage. No AC involved.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Yeah it actually attached to the plug, you know the kind big ugly plug that takes up 3 outlets on a powerstrip.
See I told you that I dont know electronics that well.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts