Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I made my first trip across the Mackinaw Bridge this past weekend. I had heard all kinds of horror stories about wind, and the grates, and I'm so relieved to find out that it was a piece of cake (and being female, of course I worried it to death!)

Anyway, here are some of the pictures from the trip!

My Hubby and little Sis on his GSXR ;D

On the grates :-\

The Gen 1 SV that we met from Ohio just north of the bridge in the U.P.

Me and my little Sis hanging out under the bridge

And this on is my little Sister and her own set of wheels! Just got it last weekend! Isn't she cool?? 8)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Amen on hating the grates. Market Street in San Francisco is covered in them. Right in the places you might have to make emergency stops, too (approaching intersections). Always scares the piss out of me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like grated bridges. They can get worse in the wet and especially windy, but you just have to be careful. I remember someone saying not to look down so of course it was the first thing I did. Really cool to see the water under you!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Red Raevyn said:
I like grated bridges. They can get worse in the wet and especially windy, but you just have to be careful. I remember someone saying not to look down so of course it was the first thing I did. Really cool to see the water under you!
It's very hypnotizing ;)

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
HartSplash said:
The Gen 1 SV that we met from Ohio just north of the bridge in the U.P.
Hey! I know that bike! (And the guy in the background) They're from Cleveland.

Cool pics. Looks like it was a fun trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, that mug in the faded red shirt is me. It was a weird experience running over those grates at 50, bike kinda washed around. I had to look down at the water, very cool bridge!

Also interesting was the reaction of the two ladies seeing each touring on their SV's. Good for both of you! We ended up circumnavigating Lakes Huron and Erie via the western shore of MI, crossing the UP, the northern shore of Lake Huron and eastern shore of Georgian Bay. About 1600 mi in 3.5 days.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mrfun said:
Yes, that mug in the faded red shirt is me. It was a weird experience running over those grates at 50, bike kinda washed around. I had to look down at the water, very cool bridge!

Also interesting was the reaction of the two ladies seeing each touring on their SV's. Good for both of you! We ended up circumnavigating Lakes Huron and Erie via the western shore of MI, crossing the UP, the northern shore of Lake Huron and eastern shore of Georgian Bay. About 1600 mi in 3.5 days.
I was wondering if you were going to notice this thread and yourself in the background there :)

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Good for you HS, I am not sure I would want to ride the bridge.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
It is a very cool bridge. I've never had the chance to ride over it, but have driven over it a few times.

Great pics and a neat thread. Thanks!

And yes, your little sister is cool too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts