Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what does the S V actually stand for, i cant even think of anything. ???

i used google and the search function to no avail, just havnt seen anything about it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
probably nothing, but you can tell yourself it's Suzuki V(-twin)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sport V-twin

maybe

But then again, what does GSXR stand for? It may just be a model name.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Its all just model designation. Doesnt really stand for anything. Just like GSX-R. You could go back to the early GS models then they went to DOHC and became GSX models then they had 'racier' versions that got the GSX-R designation. Most manufaturers do it. What does CBR, YZF, ZX, FLTR stand for? Nothing really if you are looking for put words to each of the letters

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
To me its Sexy Vixen. hehehe sexy bc its not ur typical curvy body style so its different but a vixen bc the torque is teh awesum! and in the wrong hands she could bite someone hehe

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sport V-twin

maybe

But then again, what does GSXR stand for? It may just be a model name.
Pulled from wikipedia: GS - Gran Sport, used to indicate a road going Suzuki standard motorcycle, the only model that still uses this designation in the Suzuki line up is the GS500.

XR - eXperimental Racing. Designation added to GS for Suzukis road legal race replica motorcycles thereby creating GSXR.

There are additional suffixes added to the GS "road going" moniker such as GSX (just Gran Sport eXperimental) for the Katana motorcycles or GSF (the F stands for something in Japanese that I can't remember but generally indicates a sporting but not race replica trim) for the Bandit motorcycles. To be noted, the Hayabusa is technically not a GSXR but some hybrid between the that and the Katana given it's model moniker GSX1300R.

Also to be noted, Suzuki's non-road legal race bikes are coded as XR for just eXperimental Racing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
CBR

CB= City Bike
CBR= City Bike Race
CBRxxxRR= City Bike Race size of motor Race Replica.

Something along those lines. I think that could be the only one that has any meaning.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Its all just model designation. Doesnt really stand for anything. Just like GSX-R. You could go back to the early GS models then they went to DOHC and became GSX models then they had 'racier' versions that got the GSX-R designation. Most manufaturers do it. What does CBR, YZF, ZX, FLTR stand for? Nothing really if you are looking for put words to each of the letters
Don't like all the Harley names actually have meaning? FLTR is something like flathead touring.... raccoon? I dunno.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts