Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day I put the bike on the road I was very unhappy with the illumination (or lack there of) of the dual 20 watt focused beams. I tried 35/55 watt bulbs but they still worked poorly and tended to melt the ABS plastic housing. I love the way it looks and have been determined to try and make it work.

My mission began by looking for a car headight that would fit but they were all too big. 5.75" was the smallest I found, the Blitz would require something 5" or smaller. I looked at fog lights too but found nothing. On my way in and out of several Pep Boys I saw a 1,000,000 candle power spot light they had for sale for $10, the lense looked the right size so I bought one. To make a long story less long... I took it apart and fitted the reflector to the bulb housing on the Blitz. The bulb housing comes off the Blitz assembly with 5 screws and I then gutted it by removing all but the top and lower screws to mount the spot light lense to and I also left "tabs" sticking out of the front for the clear plastic cover to screw onto. I had to slightly bent the reflector/lense (what ever you want to call it) so it could reach both screws. I also ground off a little of the "lip" on it so it sat in closer to the Blitz's housing, there's still a bit of a gap top and bottom but no bog deal. The gap should help water evaporate out and keep it from getting too hot.

The bulb it came with was 6volt so I replaced it with a 12volt bulb, these are standard fog light bulbs. They are single filiment so there is no high beams but it's worth it to have a decent headlight. The 6volt battery in the spotlight is also a 100% direct replacement for your Omnibot, Omnibot 2000, Heroid or Robie Sr robot ;D

I got to take it on a ride down some back country roads and I have to say it works about as well as a OEM headlight, just no high beams...

Pics!!!

Top...

Bottom...

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
Let us know how it works out! :)
LOL..it works 1000 time better than his old set up. LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you looked into PIAA 510 or 540 series lamps? The 525 series has high and low beam but is probably too big. Having PIAA lamps on my truck I can say they are some bright road lighting lamps. One 520 lights the road better than my stock headlights and fog lights combined.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
canus said:
Have you looked into PIAA 510 or 540 series lamps?  The 525 series has high and low beam but is probably too big.  Having PIAA lamps on my truck I can say they are some bright road lighting lamps.  One 520 lights the road better than my stock headlights and fog lights combined.
They're 5" and probably would have worked but take the same bulb so where's the benefit? The spotlight was $10, works fine and I got a battery for my Omnibot 2000 ;D

·
Registered
80 Posts
The benifit would be a better reflector and lens. Now the cost would go way up so it all depends on how good your lighting needs to be for your driving environment. I know driving around downtown you probably don't even need a headlight but what happens when you go out for a nice ride on some country roads and stop longer then expected and end up drving home at night in the dark? Just a thought but only you know your driving habits. Mine take me down dark back roads often enough to warent very good lighting. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've seen his 10,000 jigawatt bulb. It's good, believe me.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tonyjuliano said:
I've seen his 10,000 jigawatt bulb.  It's good, believe me.
1.21 jigawatts is as high as Pep Boys sells... this is handy as the flux capacitor on the SV is only able to handle that much current at 88MPH anyway  ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts