Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual after stopping at the sign in front of my house repeatedly without cars coming or going I got lazy overtime and started to stop fewer seconds and finally the unthinkable happened. I came to the stop sign and due to false memory did not stop and before I knew it I was few meters away crushing into a minivan. I hit the brakes only front! Very poor choice I should of hit the rare brake as well and the bike slid under me and fell on me bruising my ankle and knee severely. Needless to say I felt like a moron! This accident easily could of been avoided had I stopped to look. Another lesson I learned I urge all riders to practice panic stops and swirling maneuvers as most of us learned once in motorcycle instruction school. It is easy to get lazy and careless but those only handicaps us and perhaps become a culprit in our demise.

M

·
0 Posts
My first thought was...."well, that wouldn't happen to me."

But my first accident in a car was a lot dumber than that, when I'm a perfectly capable driver...you don't notice lapses of attention until the swing around and slap in the face.

I hope your knee feels better, and thanks for posting and reminding us...it's really so easy miss one second on the road, and wreck.

-Ben.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bringing back a thread from the dead....for some newbie questions.

As a matter of practice, do you guys tend to roll stops at stop signs/red lights?   I've seen plenty of lazy motorcyclists in the past who didn't make a full stop, but rather just moved through at low speed, never putting the left foot down.    How many people here have either gotten into an accident like the above poster or slapped with a ticket from the cops?

And while we're on this tangent.   I take it that the reason why the MSF guys tell you to put your left foot down first is so that you're better prepared when making a stop on a steep hill, like one of the many in SF?     I haven't had to deal with this luckily on a bike, but I eventually will.  It is something that still makes me nervous at time when I'm driving stick in the city (e.g. California Street), but I've gotten better at it.    On a car, it's easier.   I can engage the handbrake, and get the car in first, releasing the handbrake without shooting the car foward in a jerky manner.   

On a motorcycle, I'm supposed to get my left foot/both of my feet down, and hold my inclined position with my rear brake only?   And then when I'm ready to go, slowly roll up on the throttle, gently releasing the clutch and rear brake at almost the same time?

I'm not so much paranoid about rolling back and hitting the car in back of me as I am, being the fool who drops a bike on a steep hill, and then has to attempt to pick the 300+ object up on said slope. :(

Arvan said:
As usual after stopping at the sign in front of my house repeatedly without cars coming or going I got lazy overtime and started to stop fewer seconds and finally the unthinkable happened. I came to the stop sign and due to false memory did not stop and before I knew it I was few meters away crushing into a minivan. I hit the brakes only front! Very poor choice I should of hit the rare brake as well and the bike slid under me and fell on me bruising my ankle and knee severely. Needless to say I felt like a moron! This accident easily could of been avoided had I stopped to look. Another lesson I learned I urge all riders to practice panic stops and swirling maneuvers as most of us learned once in motorcycle instruction school. It is easy to get lazy and careless but those only handicaps us and perhaps become a culprit in our demise.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
did you just run it or roll it?

over here, i stop in the day when there is traffic but at night i roll the 3ways and stop/roll the four ways.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tend to be really anal right now about it and stopping at all stop signs, putting my foot down...but that's also b/c I picked up a  bs traffic ticket for apparently rolling on a red with my car last month, so I'm not in any mood to pick up more tickets.

I tend to roll it  inside the company campus, but I almost got into trouble yesterday.    Indecisively rolling through the stop, I was moving so slowly in first I didn't have enough speed to properly lean, and almost ran the bike into the curb instead of making the turn.   ::) 

lkm said:
did you just run it or roll it?

over here, i stop in the day when there is traffic but at night i roll the 3ways and stop/roll the four ways.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i've rolled through my share of stop signs. not completely coming to a stop. but it is not something i do all of the time. it just depends on the moment. sometimes i'll roll through, maybe i'll stop and put a foot down or maybe i'll practice stopping with my feet up and then continue on my way.

if cops in your area are cracking down on that sort of thing then i would advise against it.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Yeah, I almost bit it doing zero MPH again b/c of something like this.

Was about to turn left in a T interseciton and started moving as I was checking my left side...a van was coming I had to stop and put all my might into keeping the bike upright.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I roll/stop at most signs around here.

I kinda practice almost coming to a complete stop, but not putting a foot down. Like a "slow drag" at poker runs... trying to go as s l o w as possible...

And I regularly practice panic stops when on back roads when riding by myself, as well as quick maneuvers.
I know that my practice may or may not help me in all situations, but I would like to think that learning the extent of my control over my bike WILL help me in some situation...

·
Registered
123 Posts
i pretty much always stop...especially when with a goup...there are a few a roll through if thrafic is light. theres one tho that is perfectly smooth redone ashphalt and its always clear of debris to. never too crowded but i ususally pull up alittle endo there just for fun...i dont do it alot but it definatly turns heads..

·
Registered
703 Posts
I tend to roll through most 4 way stops, provided I've got a good line of sight for opposing traffic as I approach the intersection. At night or in heavy traffic it's always at least one foot down for the stop. Doesn't mean I stop for long though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
kentuckyfried said:
And while we're on this tangent.   I take it that the reason why the MSF guys tell you to put your left foot down first is so that you're better prepared when making a stop on a steep hill, like one of the many in SF?     
not just on a hill, but to make a better, cleaner stop all the time. the brake is on the right, so you want the maximum time possible with that pedal depressed, particularly for emergency braking.

i tend to do roll stops a lot, but not before checking both ways twice. if it's a busy intersection, i'll fullstop.

btw, has anyone here heard roll-stops called "california stops" or "california rolls"?

·
Registered
81 Posts
california rolls, that is what we call them back east.

I roll through all the stop signs in my neighborhood. I don't even slow down for the one at the top of my street. It is a right turn, i just go for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts