Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a really weird problem with my SV. When I accelerate in first gear the rpms with be at about 8k when the problem starts. when it reaches around 8k it will stay reving up as normal but the bike isnt speeding up. Then when I ease off the throttle it will jerk forward a little bit. it does this in every gear, I orginally thought it was a clutch problem because the last few weeks I've had to release the clutch barely to get into first. other than that the clutch feels like it always has. if you have any ideas to whats going on id appreciate any help

·
Registered
477 Posts
Check your clutch adjustment is correct. Search on here for the 'clutch mantra', and see how the bike is after following those instructions.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would have a close look at your sprockets, particularly the front one. If it's worn, the chain could skip over the teeth.

The other strong possibility, aside from the aforementioned clutch, is that the front sprocket is not properly seated on the splines of the output shaft, and starts to slip.

These are all dangerous conditions and you should investigate before riding. A chain coming off while riding is no joke.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Fuel pump is wearing out. The tanks in the second gens rust. The rust causes erosion on the fuel pump impeller. One problem is the cost of the fuel filter built into the fuel pump assembly. The pump and intake sock filter can be purchased after market fairly cheaply. But the fuel filter is pricey. Mine did the same thing, fixed it with a complete oem fuel pump assy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is slipping/warn out. Try putting it in 5th gear at a low speed and rpm and go full throttle to see if that'll cause it to rev without giving acceleration. If it does than it means your clutch needs replacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for all your guys help I pretty sure I figured out what it was. My throttle cable was almost coming out it was so loose once I tightened it I haven’t had any problems since. Thanks for reminding me to check my sprockets I haven’t even thought about them in a while and will be changing those out soon too thanks guys!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Glad it's working for you but it doesn't make sense that a loose throttle cable would cause the engine to speed up without the bike speeding up. That's a sign of clutch slippage. A loose throttle cable could cause the bike to not accelerate to it's full potential but won't cause the engine to speed up without the wheels also speeding up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to test your clutch out for slippage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m thinking that when I would ease off the throttle it re engaged and would jerk forward it makes sense in my head and it’s been working fine so far but I’ll definitely do more tests
I tried the taking off in 5th in low rpm and it felt as it should I’m definitely not 100% confident the problem is fixed though. ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having a really weird problem with my SV. When I accelerate in first gear the rpms with be at about 8k when the problem starts. when it reaches around 8k it will stay reving up as normal but the bike isnt speeding up. Then when I ease off the throttle it will jerk forward a little bit. it does this in every gear, I orginally thought it was a clutch problem because the last few weeks I've had to release the clutch barely to get into first. other than that the clutch feels like it always has. if you have any ideas to whats going on id appreciate any help
I’m thinking that when I would ease off the throttle it re engaged and would jerk forward it makes sense in my head and it’s been working fine so far but I’ll definitely do more tests
I tried the taking off in 5th in low rpm and it felt as it should I’m definitely not 100% confident the problem is fixed though. ??
Alright so this problem has been fixed
But I don’t really know where it was fixed. So here’s the things I did below

1.I redid the throttle cable and adjusted it about 5,000x and it made the issue less noticeable
2. New spark plugs
3.new oil/filter
4. Pulled fuel pump, wasn’t too dirty when I took it out so I decided I had no business taking it apart. Although I did give it some solid smacks with a mallet and there was flakes of rust falling everywhere but then it eventually ended and I put it back in
5. Checked all electric plugs and one was unplugged so that was a surprise
6. Cleaned air box area, mine was very clean already but the tank was off so I might as well check
7. Clean drain hole
8.new tires
9. Slipping clutch adjustment
Definitely do this if your having my issue made a instant impact in how the bike felt and I’d say this step completed my work
Definitely look up clutch mantra for more on this step

thanks for your guys help that responded I definitely learned a lot with this

1 - 11 of 11 Posts