Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
wow. Very sorry again. Yes I see what your concern was. The way I was saying it, actually means to coast and that’s not what I meant. Corrected.

I accelerated too quickly and was not focused on the turn, got off the throttle to apply brake and that combination brought the bike up causing me to see what was in front of me and focused on that, then, ended up right there. I should have saw my way through the turn and kept even throttle a bit longer and get the bike pointed to my exit lane.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you accelerate, and hold a constant lean angle, the bike will follow an increasing turn radius. That's just the physics of centripetal force. It's got nothing to do with the bike trying to stand up.

You'll hear folks talk about throttle on at corner exit and running wide and suspension settings. None of that really applies at neighborhood street speeds.

Don't over think it, look where you want to go.

Edit:. Nevermind, your last post said the same thing.....

I'm slow today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If you accelerate, and hold a constant lean angle, the bike will follow an increasing turn radius. That's just the physics of centripetal force. It's got nothing to do with the bike trying to stand up.

You'll hear folks talk about throttle on at corner exit and running wide and suspension settings. None of that really applies at neighborhood street speeds.

Don't over think it, look where you want to go.

Edit:. Nevermind, your last post said the same thing.....

I'm slow today.
Stil thanks for the info, this is what I need.....corrections, even if its with my riding and terminology hhaha

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
With all the sharing going on and all the good info on here, I am thinking its time for me to share mine. I am a bit embarrassed about this as I have ridden prior...but nothing serious. Rode some small dirt bikes as a kid, rode friends scooters and some super sports throughout the years.

I was just puttering around my neighborhood with my new (used) SFV650 that I just got. I felt good on the bike and felt confident after about 5-6 hours total just around the neighborhood with a few short street trips to get gas. I decided to try some cornering, but just a bit faster. I know now that was dumb as I am trying to rush myself into this. I believe me having some experience on a bike gave me a false sense of security as I feel like I am past the beginner part. As I entered the turn, I got on the throttle while the bike was (and me slightly) lean into the turn and ended up going wide and into the gutter...My mind got focused on someones lawn 3/4 way through the turn and my eyes just locked on it. I got on the brakes fairly quickly but didn't lock the tire...I ended up riding the edge of the gutter and lawn and the bike slipped from under me. I was not really hurt at all (ATGATT) but a little cut on my shine under my knee from where the bike landed on me, thankful I did focus on grass and it broke my fall nicely. I did break my left side mirror (good, wanted them gone anyway) and bent my handlebar slightly. Was not going fast really, between 12-15 at the most. I had about 1 sq-ft of sod on the side of my bike, but nothing bent or damaged...no leaking....bike started right up pretty much (think there is a fuel cut off when the bike is on its side?), no funny nosies at all that I can tell. Just to be safe, my bike is going to the shop next week and going to have them do a full check on it.

Lessons I am going to take away from this.

1- LOOK THROUGH THE TURN....I let my eyes lock on something and wouldn't you know, I put the bike right where that was.

2- DO NOT accelerate till i have finished my turning input and the bike is pointed to my exit. I was wanting to try and take corners faster, but I forgot this or wanted to "test my limits" with this....

3- Having ridden in the past, but just a few joy rides, do not let this give you a false sense of security. I am going to act like I have never ridden before and start from there.

4- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....I am now going to go back to basics and act like I have never ridden before. WILL NOT rush through anything again.
What about the neighbor's lawn?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
What about the neighbor's lawn?
It was trailed along the edge of the gutter and the over grow...I weed whacked the line haha..No one lives there. It was not bad at all, didnt even bend my shifter. I got my bike to almost a complete stop but went down trying to put a foot down and slipped in the gutter, bike slid a bit on the low side, riding the edge of the grass...my handle bars were turned right and landed on the the end. My front tire was pointed at the house.(trying to get out of the gutter) and boom, went down on left side in front of me. I hit the grass on my left side, didnt kick up any grass at all, my body I mean.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, after doing some practice and going over the turn where I went wrong....I think I had my speed up enough that I should have moved to a counter steer, since I was going from entering the turn at slower speed, accelerating out, i should have added a bit of counter steer to get me leaned over more once i hit about 15mph or so. I was trying to lean and the transition from the point of normal steering to counter steering caught me a bit off guard.

·
Super Moderator
8,316 Posts
Well, after doing some practice and going over the turn where I went wrong....I think I had my speed up enough that I should have moved to a counter steer, since I was going from entering the turn at slower speed, accelerating out, i should have added a bit of counter steer to get me leaned over more once i hit about 15mph or so. I was trying to lean and the transition from the point of normal steering to counter steering caught me a bit off guard.
you can countersteer at any speed. the effects of steering will vary based on how fast you turn the bars, not how fast the bike is going.
you can direct steer at any speed as well (it's just not very effective at faster speeds)
you dont need to consciously think about steering technique except at the very beginning of the turn. and even then only for learning what's possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you for this....after some practicing, yes, I noticed this.....I could not really counter steer anything under 5-6mph or so. After that I could counter steer, but not as easily. I think thats was part of the problem. I was so worried at what speed I can instead of just going with my instinct and push right to go right.

I am going to keep up with the practice in the parking lots in my neighborhood till it becomes second nature.

·
Super Moderator
8,316 Posts
Thank you for this....after some practicing, yes, I noticed this.....I could not really counter steer anything under 5-6mph or so. After that I could counter steer, but not as easily. I think thats was part of the problem. I was so worried at what speed I can instead of just going with my instinct and push right to go right.

I am going to keep up with the practice in the parking lots in my neighborhood till it becomes second nature.
you can at slower, it just is hard to balance. don't really worry about the 5mph stuff, aim for 10-15 mph for most turning drills. bottom of 2nd gear is perfect on the sv cause it's not lurchy and is quick enough.

one thing that will help you is turning your head QUICKLY and A LOT. like A LOT MORE THAN YOU THINK. pick a point on the pavement like 4 seconds ahead where you want to go and dont take your eyes off of it. then once you're headed there, pick the next point to go.
like here, when you're between 1 and 2, look at 3. when you're between 2 and 3 look at 4, etc.

then turn it into a figure 8 so you can practice switching side to side (once again, between 1 and 2, aim for 3, between 2 and 3 aim for 4, etc)

also, adding some constraints (lines on pavement, tennis balls, cones, whatever) will let you compare between attempts. without constraints you're just circling arbitrarily and it's hard to tell what's working and what isnt

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,316 Posts
as far as countersteering, you have 3 variables to work with,
how FAR you push - affects how much angle you get
how QUICKLY you push - affects how quickly you get to angle
how long you hold - affects how long you maintain the angle

the other thing is making sure your arms arent fighting each other. lean forward so you have room to work, and make sure the outside arm isn't doing anything

·
Super Moderator
8,316 Posts
inspired a blahg post heh

21 - 36 of 36 Posts