Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today im very VERY glad my bike has abs. was about 1/4 mile away from my house. we were hanging out in the garage at someones house. i was about ready to go when it started drizzling, and decided to hurry up and ride home(bad idea)

i get 100 feet down the road and the sky opens up on me. i keep going trying to hurry(again bad idea) i'm probably doing about 30-40 coming up on a 2 way stop sign a little faster then i should have. the rear abs was kicking in as i downshifted. i wasn't slowing down fast enough and there was a car on the road i was trying to cross(60 mph speed limit). so i grabbed more front brake. when i did that it felt the front slide. almost felt like i let go of the brakes. for that split second i thought i was ******, but then the front abs kicked in and i stopped surprisingly fast. a good 5 feet before the stop sign i was slow enough to let off.

im certain i would have hit, or been hit by that car if it wasn't for the abs. the car was so close i didn't even have to put my feet down at the stop sign. needless to say i wasn't in a hurry anymore after the stop sign.

for now on my only advice to new riders will be a bike with abs!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think another good piece of advice is to avoid putting yourself in situations where you have to panic stop.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay. I'm a firm believer in ABS, and after I bought my C14, I figured I'd never own another bike w/o it. OTOH, I've bought 2 bikes (both used) since w/o ABS. IMHO, Suzuki made several mistakes with the SV lineup - killing the SV1K naked, never putting ABS on the 1K's, and replacing the 650's with the non-abs Gladius.

For a variety of reasons, ABS doesn't seem to sell well here in the states. IMO, on newer bikes having ABS is so much better, and is well worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I am the happy owner of a SV650AK7 and hope that Suzuki will start bringing the ABS-equipped Gladius here soon. The Gladius in Canada (and maybe the rest of the World?) has ABS standard starting w/the 2011 model. The V-Strom 650 (DL650) now also has ABS standard in the US starting w/the 2011 models.
I agree that it is best if you don't get into a place where you need ABS, but dealing w/the unexpected or even w/the maybe should have foreseen:rolleyes:, ABS can be a real difference maker. Any help is welcome in a Panic situation, expected or not.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I think another good piece of advice is to avoid putting yourself in situations where you have to panic stop.
Always good advice. You could also say that it is good to avoid situations where you need a helmet or any kind of safety gear. Unfortunately, as you well know, whether your fault or someone else's, sh!t sometimes happens and, as people who have had their bacon saved know, that's when we're glad we had them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Most important advice relavent to this situation:

The oil off of cars comes up to the surface of the street when it starts to rain making the road extra slick. ESPECIALLY near stop signs/lights where cars sit and wait. This is the first thing that should come into your mind when the rain starts, right after that is the "crap, I'm gonna get soaked" part :D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
(bad idea)....(again bad idea)...a little faster then i should have...
Hmm...

the rear abs was kicking in as i downshifted.
I HIGHLY doubt this. :)

On a related note: My non-ABS DR600 from the stone age (and tires from the bronze age) brought me home safely in a heavy downpour last night. Over slick cobblestones, trolley tracks and greasy crossings. Stay alert.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also, remember that when it does start raining that is the WORST time to rush. Chill out, have some chips, and wait 30 minutes. After that top layer of gunk is washed off the road you might be suprised at how well your sv will handle.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
rain sucks period!!!

but, there are tricks to riding in the wet...in one word, SMOOTH, don't make any fast/jerky moves, watch manhole covers, PAINTED stripes, etc...

just be SMOOOOOTH and deliberate....

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
ABS doesn't save lives. It helps when you F*** up. Don't rush in the rain. Also, pretend you don't have ABS brakes. I was talking to some guys over the weekend and they were telling me how much of a hard time they were having riding their "new" bikes. That's because their previous had ABS and they got used to the bike doing the thinking for them.

Remember ABS is a tool in case SH!T. It's not a tool to learn how to use your brakes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hmm...

I HIGHLY doubt this. :)

On a related note: My non-ABS DR600 from the stone age (and tires from the bronze age) brought me home safely in a heavy downpour last night. Over slick cobblestones, trolley tracks and greasy crossings. Stay alert.

Ciao
Jan
Apparently you don't understand braking as well as you think. Sport/racing bikes have slipper clutches to help avoid rear wheel lockup under downshifting. Downshifting while hard on the brakes, especially on a bike with as much engine braking as the SV, will contribute to rear wheel lockup, which will trigger the ABS.

Point 2. (Thread related - not quote related) ABS can save lives, by preventing wheel lockup. This is true even in cases where there is no significant rider error. In the case related by the OP, there was admitted rider error, but ABS is/can be useful w/o rider error.

Point 3. (Thread related - not quote related) Can't we keep the language cleaner here?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Apparently you don't understand braking as well as you think. Sport/racing bikes have slipper clutches to help avoid rear wheel lockup under downshifting. Downshifting while hard on the brakes, especially on a bike with as much engine braking as the SV, will contribute to rear wheel lockup, which will trigger the ABS.

Point 2. (Thread related - not quote related) ABS can save lives, by preventing wheel lockup. This is true even in cases where there is no significant rider error. In the case related by the OP, there was admitted rider error, but ABS is/can be useful w/o rider error.

Point 3. (Thread related - not quote related) Can't we keep the language cleaner here?
So what makes ABS kick in?

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
I don't understand the "It's raining, better hurry up" thing. Do you think you're going to get less wet if your go faster? Unless you're very close to your destination, you're probably going to be just as wet when you arrive as you'd be if you didn't hurry.

It's just water. You're not going to melt. :p

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Slippage during braking.
I know that. But what creates that "slippage?"

I am trying to get at something here. But I will let it go since it's friday and there's no need for arguments today. Especially when we have a 3 day weekend.

To the OP, try to find an empty parking lot and practice your brake. Best advice is Tlee's. Just avoid situations where you have to resort to this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
To the OP, try to find an empty parking lot and practice your brake. Best advice is Tlee's. Just avoid situations where you have to resort to this.
1) you CANNOT always avoid situations where you need to brake hard, no matter how carefully you drive. There are too many idiots on the road. Although, yes the OP could probably have avoided the situation.

2) Okay, so lets say he goes to the parking lot and practices braking. He will then get a feel for the brake in a nice dry parking lot where there is not sudden panic/urgency to brake. Then lets say he needs to suddenly brake on a wet/greasy/dirty road where if he grabs the same ammount of front brake he did in the parking lot, the front wheel will lock up and slide. Yeah, that practising in the parking lots was completely worth it. Not.

Seriously. This is why accidents happen. Some situations you just cant prepare for (although i do agree that many can be avoided by more careful driving)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
1) you CANNOT always avoid situations where you need to brake hard, no matter how carefully you drive. There are too many idiots on the road. Although, yes the OP could probably have avoided the situation.

2) Okay, so lets say he goes to the parking lot and practices braking. He will then get a feel for the brake in a nice dry parking lot where there is not sudden panic/urgency to brake. Then lets say he needs to suddenly brake on a wet/greasy/dirty road where if he grabs the same ammount of front brake he did in the parking lot, the front wheel will lock up and slide. Yeah, that practising in the parking lots was completely worth it. Not.

Seriously. This is why accidents happen. Some situations you just cant prepare for (although i do agree that many can be avoided by more careful driving)
I said long 3 weekend!!! :p

1 - 20 of 141 Posts