Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do if you caught a thief in the act of stealing your bike and you were within running/walking distance?
What if he showed no signs of fleeing once he noticed you were on to him?
Would you use a weapon of some sort?
Would you stand by and let it happen, and make an insurance claim?

Knee-jerk reactions please; you wouldn't have time to think in this situation.
What would your impulse be? Answer with the first thing that comes to mind.

I bring it up because I bought an alarm today, and all day I've been trying to figure out what I'd do if I get that one dreaded page. I'm curious to know what everyone else would do in this situation.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
If I was armed I would likely confront them after dialing 911 and putting the phone to my ear. Otherwise I will pull out my cell phone and call the police while waiting at a safe distance.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Wow, good question...

I'll yell like...wtf you doing to my bike?!?!? and run towards it

Any thieve would just run, I don't think they'll stay there and confront people, that's just the way they are. But if it was to happen I'll guess I'll stay safe distance and call 911 like mention above.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Someone tried to steal mine and the first thing I thought about was what I would have done had I caught him. A neighbor told me that he saw the guy doing it, but the thief was helmeted and he just thought it was me (had seen me but hadn't met me at the time) going out for a late night ride but having some trouble with the bike. He made eye contact with the thief and the thief didn't act like it bothered him at all.

I would call the police, arm myself, and approach the thief. I would probably yell something as I approached. If I knew the thief wouldn't move as someone approached, I would walk as if passing by and then surprise them.

Like JJ, I'm usually not an aggressive guy, but I was fuming pretty hard. With that kind of adrenaline I would not have hesitated to get into a fight over the situation. I would not have wanted him to just run off.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
run up grab him and pull him down bike and all.... deal with a criminal complaint later.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
would call the police then watch him take it. The condition my bike is in means that I'd perfer an insurance payout, and would just buy it back to race after they wrote it off anyways.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Wow, actually a tough question.
I'd like to say to him, hey, meet Col. Colt and his friends Smith and Wesson.
(The Colt dusting him and the smith as the the throw-down piece). However, that is in my fantasies. I'm not really that rash.
I think the obvious and appropriate answer would be to dial 911, give them the info of a crime in progress and then start yelling and running at him. He would likely take off.
Of course, if he didn't and mounted an attack, maybe it would be time for a 230-grain launch.

·
Registered
685 Posts
well, i don't own a gun but i do train muay thai 4 days a week...so i'd probably charge him and try to break his knee

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a neighbor with a backhoe and a chipper that runs off the PTO of his 35hp Kubota.

Seriously, call the cops and wish I had a paintball gun to tag him (repeatedly) with to make the ID easier...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think you're never going to get to use it...

...but honestly unless there's no one around a "STOP THIEF!" should get him running.

Then again I don't think I'm Batman like the rest of yall...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Shoot him, ride home knee blasting when possible, make a sandwich, maybe nap.

HAHA seriously though

I would call the cops, tell them the situation and where I am, then I would yell at the guy that I just called the cops, he better hurry up and get on or run AKA bring some attention to him. This situation is assuming that the guy "isnt going to flee." I am assuming he is carrying a gun/knife at that point. I carry a knife all the time for work and out of habit, 5 inch blade but I wouldnt take the chance considering he might be armed.

If I knew he wasnt armed and wasn't a 6'6 300lbs linebacker, I would smash his ass with my MMA.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Shoot the SOB, no hesitation.

This is legitimate in TX. Heck, you can shoot someone for stealing your neighbour's schytte.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts