Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/08/27/cb450r-cafe-racer-kits-convert-honda-crf450r-dirt-bike-to-street-legal-cafe-racer/

Talk about a great first bike, or great fun bike for experienced riders!

240 pounds wet and with somewhere around 55 horsepower, holy fun batman!

http://www.designcycleinc.com/
As for Design Cycle, we plan on offering kits in various forms (estimate late October availability/delivery for version 1.0; version 2.0 which will be a different style …available ~December 09):
If you own a CRF450R, then we can sell you just the street legal chassis (title included). If you want the complete chassis (minus the engine), that will be the next level kit. Top level kit, will be a running/driving CB450R.

Some other points, we built this kit knowing that you could run it as a street legal bike…and at the end of the day…put the CRF components back on your dirt bike that day for competition on the dirt track. Very quick to put together and apart.

FYI: My previous background was as a Motorcycle Design Engineer for Honda R&D.

You can contact us at (850) 656-0014 Tallahassee, FL for more details. Website does not have this bike on it, but emails come to me.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I can only imagine what the kits will cost....
Great concept though- it'd be a fun street-cafe thumper.
The seat(pan) doesnt look too comfy though, it might need a lil padding for the boys. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the idea of a light, (relatively) easy-to-maintain bike with a kick-start to boot. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if the price was right. The only thing I would change about that is actually in the looks department - the tank. But I guess thats a personal thing. Otherwise... awesome.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This could be a trend that could change motorcycling going forward, and its at a performance level that should be acceptible to most for commuting and urban/suburban use. (To help stave off the scooter revolution)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I like that, but how will the 450 engine stand up to street use? Is the maintenance going to be a pain like euro SM bikes?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Back in the early 80s the Ducati 250 and 450 Desmo singles were kings of the gorge twisties where I lived. They were actually a late 60s / early 70s model I believe and creamed any bike on the twisties.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The OEM will never build anything like this.

Light, reliable and well equipped costs money.

The price would likely be $7500 and up ... to which the average American rider would likely say "for that kind of money I could buy a __________________.

Selling 50 or 100 units is not gonna Honda's or anyone elses attention.

I hope the economy rebounds someday and KTM builds its RC4 690 single. Perfect track day ride and light weight street scratcher .. (and with a counterbalancer and e-start)

Not to say this CRF450 project isnt cool ... cause it is.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope the economy rebounds someday and KTM builds its RC4 690 single. Perfect track day ride and light weight street scratcher .. (and with a counterbalancer and e-start)
RD I'm confused by this statement because I own the bike you are describing? (Duke 690 LC4)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, this is a freaking home run. Let's hope it takes off and the OEMs follow suit!
Actually if OEMs follow suit, you will get less, consider the SV: (Superb engine and chassis, but corners cut in Suspension and quality of peripheral parts.) We need more american innovation to take seed in these times and then THEY grow into companies that give people quality builds (even if around foreign core motors). THis is the kind of thing that can help the USA revcover. The independent innovator building and sell in America!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
RD I'm confused by this statement because I own the bike you are describing? (Duke 690 LC4)
Recall .. the RC4 was a Super-Mono style concept bike that KTM was showing with the same 690 motor. More roadrace style than the SM-ish Duke.

However, I wold take a Duke III anyday over a raw CRF based special. It would be much more livable on the street.

My next bike will be a 690 Duke as I have said many times.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Actually if OEMs follow suit, you will get less, consider the SV: (Superb engine and chassis, but corners cut in Suspension and quality of peripheral parts.) We need more american innovation to take seed in these times and then THEY grow into companies that give people quality builds (even if around foreign core motors). THis is the kind of thing that can help the USA revcover. The independent innovator building and sell in America!
Agreed ...

·
Registered
786 Posts
If an OEM made something like this, sure it'd be sweet, but why this over a supermoto? I'm sure cost wouldn't be much different.

A blast to ride I'm sure, but I don't need a hardcore racing engine. I'd love to have a lot of horsepower out of a lightweight, small displacement engine...

However, I'd rather have a bit more engine weight and displacement and NOT have to change the oil every 10 hours and adjust the valves every other weekend, thank you very much. I really would love to see more of this style of bike though... super lightweight with plenty of horsepower to have lots of fun!

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
If an OEM made something like this, sure it'd be sweet, but why this over a supermoto? I'm sure cost wouldn't be much different.

A blast to ride I'm sure, but I don't need a hardcore racing engine. I'd love to have a lot of horsepower out of a lightweight, small displacement engine...

However, I'd rather have a bit more engine weight and displacement and NOT have to change the oil every 10 hours and adjust the valves every other weekend, thank you very much. I really would love to see more of this style of bike though... super lightweight with plenty of horsepower to have lots of fun!
my thoughts exactly.

DR650 lump oughtta fit the bill. e-start too :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts