Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so everyone knows, I was involved in a car accident a month ago. I am doing better, but still can't ride (dammit). Anyway, I am going through all the insurance nightmares, and let me tell you, it sucks. The other car (responsible party) was not insured, so how it works now is:

Car I was in is primary ins.
MY auto ins. is secondary
Personal health insurance coverage foots the rest of the bill.

The auto insurance companies only pay the bills with Personal Injury Protection. One will pay $15,000, the other will pay $10,000. That is the most they will pay because that is our coverage. I spent 5 days in the ICU and 3 on the regular floor, plus 2 emergency surgeries, so $25,000 (both PIP's put together) will not come close to covering that. Any settlement I might be entitled to comes from the Uninsured/Underinsured coverage on the auto policies, which is $100,000. Since my health insurance is ending up paying the rest of the bill, which could be quite a bit ($100,000 or more), they want it back, in the form of MY settlement money. This is called a subrogation claim. That said, I could potentially come out of this in debt. We are going to fight the insurance company in court for a settlement, but you never know how that goes. ANYWAY, the point of this post is to inform.

State minimum coverage is NOT a good idea. I have double the minimum for underinsured/uninsured coverage, and it was not enough for this. Also, PIP coverage is an option in some states, and I would recomend it. Also, this was not a freeway accident, it happened in a 35 MPH zone in town. Medical bills can add up quickly.

OK, I am off my soapbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Scotch said:
I'm resisting the urge to launch into a 2 page reply here...

I just really, really hope you have a lawyer.
+1 on both accounts...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
I agree,minimum coverage is rediculous, especially when it doesn't cost as much to increase the coverage limits as it does to get minimum coverage.

the responsible party with no insurance, do he/she have assets?

you definately need a lawyer,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Agreed, I increased the liability coverages to my maximum on all my policies. With Progressive that's $250,000 per person, $100,000 property, and a $500,000 total per claim. I'd take it even higher, but that's the max they'll allow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
zoltan said:
Agreed, I increased the liability coverages to my maximum on all my policies. With Progressive that's $250,000 per person, $100,000 property, and a $500,000 total per claim. I'd take it even higher, but that's the max they'll allow.
I have progressive also for my bikes at the same max limits, however I have a 1m/5m umbrella policy on my homeowners & auto insurance thru peerless that also covers my bike even thought the basic coverage is a different company, and it only cost me around $20/year for the umbrella policy,

I can't figure out insurance companies, peerless does not insure motorcycles yet they will include the bikes on the umbrella policy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definately have a lawyer, family friend who is doing it for hourly, instead of contingency. You have no idea how much I have been stewing over this. Totally ruined my summer. Insurance is a necessary evil. Anyway, I just wanted to say that because state minimums are rediculous.

BTW, other guy was 23, with an '04 Contour SVT, most likely has nothing. Already thought about that, a lot. Rest assured, I will at least take the guy to small claims court (to avoid further legal fees), because it is my belief that he needs to pay. Right now he is charged with 2 counts of vehicular assault, (me and the driver) which carry a max. of 10 years each and $20,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
RandyO said:
I agree,minimum coverage is rediculous, especially when it doesn't cost as much to increase the coverage limits as it does to get minimum coverage.

No whats rediculous is the price of insurance for people under the age of 25.
how old are you, and what state do you live in?

I have barley over the min because if I go any higher, it cost way too much.
Granted, i'm talking about car insurance, I havn't actually looked into my motorcycle insurance.

sucks that it all works off of averages. I'm 23 years old, been driving sense the age of 16. 6 months after I got my licence, I backed up into someone, total new mistake. But that has been off my record for 3 years, and I have never had a speeding ticket. Perfect driving record right now. And I have to pay over $500 a year for state min insurance, liability only for a POS 1992 Nissan Sentra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
Vehicular assault? Did he wreck you on purpose? Damn. I hope you get what you need to stay out of debt.

Not to mention you deserve compensation for pain and suffering, in my opinion... for what that's worth ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
i've never heard of someone bringing someone to court after an accident and walking away in debt. he might not have insurance, but i'm assuming he has a paycheck you can garnish. or maybe a house or car you can put a lein on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
mrlucky2u said:
RandyO said:
I agree,minimum coverage is rediculous, especially when it doesn't cost as much to increase the coverage limits as it does to get minimum coverage.

No whats rediculous is the price of insurance for people under the age of 25.
how old are you, and what state do you live in?

I have barley over the min because if I go any higher, it cost way too much.
Granted, i'm talking about car insurance, I havn't actually looked into my motorcycle insurance.

sucks that it all works off of averages. I'm 23 years old, been driving sense the age of 16. 6 months after I got my licence, I backed up into someone, total new mistake. But that has been off my record for 3 years, and I have never had a speeding ticket. Perfect driving record right now. And I have to pay over $500 a year for state min insurance, liability only for a POS 1992 Nissan Sentra.
no, it's not rediculous, you are in the highest risk category, speedholes has $100k+ in medical bills caused bu someone exactly your age
$500 for minimum, but how much more to increase it, likley only a few $ to increase it 10 fold

I'm older now, but when I was 23, I paid dearly too, $500 is cheap for the risk you pose,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,333 Posts
nothing personal, it's stastical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
ronlarimer said:
I have 100/300/100 and will be getting an umbrella policy shortly.

I'll be looking into an umbrella policy as well. :shock: Thanks, RandyO and speedholes for the suggestions.


speedholes-- Glad you're ok, and I hope you get what you have coming from the jackhole who rammed you.

I will never understand: a. how folks running around w/out insurance causing accidents and injuries can live with themselves, and b. why it is accepted by our governments for these pricks to do so.

I'm not a big fan of tort law, but this is a case where the other guy should get raked over the coals: FUBAR for life, financially speaking. You could be six feet under leaving a wife and kids, and this guy would basically get off with a slap on the wrist. That really pisses me off... :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack your thread so I started this one
http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?p=457930#457930

I was wondering how things might be different in Canada regarding Hospital bills etc. I've never claimed anything with insurance, been in an accident or gone to the hospital so I really have no idea how it'd work out.

I hope your accident wasn't too bad and you heal quickly. Best of luck to you in your ongoing battle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Can someone provide some more details on an umbrella policy? Specifically how would this help when the other person is at fault and is uninsured or under insured at the time of the accident? Most of what I could find (via google) relates to an accident where you are at fault.
to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, please explain Umbrella
Also, I am 22 and also in the highest risk category. I pay $375 every 6 mos. for what I have, on an '87 Cherokee w/225K miles. Perfect driving record, and an Oregon resident. I agree that rates are rediculous, but as Randy-O said, we are the high riskers. I consider myself a very careful driver, and my sister is not, but she pays less b/c she is a girl. I also live with a bunch of guys my age, and they are definately more risky than say, my parents.

Also:
the vehicular assault charges stem from the fact that witnesses said they saw him line up at the last stoplight with another car and race. The police officer gave me an estimate of ~70-80 MPH, he claims he was doin 40. Anyway......lost wage reimbursement is up to 85%, plus legal fees, and that is how I might end up out some $$. I would hopwe not, but we will see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
RandyO said:
no, it's not rediculous, you are in the highest risk category, speedholes has $100k+ in medical bills caused bu someone exactly your age
$500 for minimum, but how much more to increase it, likley only a few $ to increase it 10 fold

I'm older now, but when I was 23, I paid dearly too, $500 is cheap for the risk you pose,
RandyO said:
nothing personal, it's stastical

Right, I know its all statistical, thats what I feel is rediculous.
Why should I personaly be affected by others stupidity. When I have not had a speeding ticket in 7 years, and a perfect record for 4 years?

I know its not personal, but it affects me personally, so i'm allowed to dislike it. :p

I called got a quote for my car insurance yesterday to raise the coverage, mostly because this thread got me thinking, and I have a future wife and house to protect now. To raise from 10/20/10 to 100/300/50 will raise my bill 50%. I will go from $250 every six months to $320 every six months. Doesn't seam like a lot, but it is when you don't have that much extra cash. Thanks to the wonderfull housing prices in California.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
mrlucky2u said:
RandyO said:
no, it's not rediculous, you are in the highest risk category, speedholes has $100k+ in medical bills caused bu someone exactly your age
$500 for minimum, but how much more to increase it, likley only a few $ to increase it 10 fold

I'm older now, but when I was 23, I paid dearly too, $500 is cheap for the risk you pose,
RandyO said:
nothing personal, it's stastical

Right, I know its all statistical, thats what I feel is rediculous.
Why should I personaly be affected by others stupidity. When I have not had a speeding ticket in 7 years, and a perfect record for 4 years?

I know its not personal, but it affects me personally, so i'm allowed to dislike it. :p

I called got a quote for my car insurance yesterday to raise the coverage, mostly because this thread got me thinking, and I have a future wife and house to protect now. To raise from 10/20/10 to 100/300/50 will raise my bill 50%. I will go from $250 every six months to $320 every six months. Doesn't seam like a lot, but it is when you don't have that much extra cash. Thanks to the wonderfull housing prices in California.
Add your wife to your coverge once you get married.

I went from being 23 with a 93 Bonnieville to married with a 00 Miata (in 2000) added her, increase her coverage, decreased teh deductible and my insurance went up by $3 a month (her bill went away on top of that).

Marriage will help you out as will the multi car discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Yea, I will do that. Though, we are not getting married until 2007 :(
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top