Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
        Ahoy there.
 Im a new on here. Been lurking around for a few months now. I find the site to be very informantive with lots of good people. Thats the reason i joined to see if any of you can help me somewhat. for my back ground  i been riding my 1981 kawasaki 305 for about 2 years now and i ride it every day to work and back go to the store and everything else where i dont need a car for. What i like about the bike is how small it is and easy to ride in very heavy traffic that im in going to work and back. My problem is that i out grow the bike which when it was new should have had about 27hp i dont think i have more then 20 now  ::). Any way right now im looking at bikes and came down to two diffrent bikes out there. One is the SV650 and the other is the Z750s. I like the sitting position on the 750 more then the sv as its more up right and i can put both feet down flat. I also like the fairing and twin lights. On the SV i like the way its built with a V-twin and looks of it and the light weight. When ever i get a chance i like to take turns as fast as i can draging my pegs on the ground. Cause im buying a new bike i want something that i would not outgrow for a long time. SV has 75hp the 750 has 95hp.
 How would you compare the two bikes to one another. How would you make a choice?
I just cant dicide between the two. One other thing i did notice is that the SV has a very big following all over the world and that has to mean something about the bike. The kawasaki is fairly new and dont sell as well. but people that buy it seem to like it. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SOME POINTERS.

Wanabe            

B

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome!! I just recently bought an 05 sv and love it. It's all around just a great bike to start with. I don't know to much about the 750's, but I would definitely rec. the sv to anyone. The price is just to good to beat too ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
The SV is an excellent bike. You sound like me - scraping the pegs in the corners ;D . This can be a bad thing - the SV is a very capable bike but if you become over confident on it - it'll bite you in the butt. As far as outgrowing it, it depends on who you ride with. I was fine with it untill I started riding with guys with the inline 4's. The SV has more than enough get up and go for you I'm sure. For the look, have you considered an SV650? Check mine out in the link in my signature.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 03+ SV only has 69hp, not 75. 99.9% of riders cannot "grow out of" any modern day bike, they just get into different types of riding, whether it be long distance touring....trackday riding...commuting etc. etc. As for dragging pegs, yes u are leaning the bike over, but most likely your suspension on your current bike is work out, sagging, and not properly spring for you. The SV's suspension is bargain basement, so dependant on your weight plan on bugeting for the suspension and then u can go even faster and not drag a thing. ;D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you ridden the bikes yet?

I really liked the z750, the seating position is great, I think it looks great, and with the wide bars, it is fantastic in corners.. a real case of think about the corner and you're already through it.
While the inline 4 doesn't sound as good as a twin, it's not a bad sounding bike.
But... the vibrations through the footpegs were just nasty. I have aluminium pegs on my sv - no padding at all and I barely notice any vibes.
The z750 had big rubber pegs and even with thos on, after a 20 min ride, my feet were tingling for maybe 10 minutes.

If you're after a weekend corner beastie, the z750 would be awesome, but I wouldn't want to commute on one purely because the vibes would drive me nuts.
( it wasn't just the pegs.. the mirrors and seat vibe noticeably too.. but the pegs were the only area that it was bad enough i wouldn't want to live with it.)

besides that.. fantastic bike. And it was a demo bike I was riding, so it's possible it was just that bike because it had been thrashed. I don't know.

As for the SV... I love mine. Plenty of power... nice low end torque, that awesome v-twin sound. And nice and comfy and great through corners.

But I'd definitely suggest finding somewhere you can ride them both

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi SV650rr the bike i was looking at was the sv650 cause i like the sitting position on it much better for traffic and just over all comfort.

Bester13 yes my bike suspension is worn out but i dont want to put any more money into the bike cause i just want a new one something with more power and runs better when its cold :p. most of my riding would be to work and back but i want to go on a days ride and just have fun. maybe sometimes when i got some extra time go for 2-3 days ride camping off my bike and do some geocaching.

Damo is the bike vibration that bad ?? i read that most people feel it at around 6,000rpm. Some people said it wasnt so bad . where i live in Los Angeles they wont let me ride the bike. while you can find many forums that would talk about the SV650. I cant find many people that talk about the Z750s so its hard to find Z750 owners. Maybe there is a reason for it?????????

Wanabe

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
You've gotten pretty good direction from all the previous posters. What I want to know is what kind of Kawasaki 305 you're riding now. GPz, CSR, KZ? If it's a GPz I might be interested in buying it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arimichael the bike i got is the KZ305a been told its the CSR model. I had an offer from someone but i dont know if i could let the bike go. For some reason i do like the bike maybe cause its my first one :-[ ;D.

Wanabe

·
Registered
81 Posts
wanabe said:
   Damo is the bike vibration that bad ?? i read that most people feel it at around 6,000rpm. Some people said it wasnt so bad . where i live in Los Angeles they wont let me ride the bike.  while you can find many forums that would talk about the SV650. I cant find many people that talk about the Z750s so its hard to find Z750 owners. Maybe there is a reason for it?????????

Wanabe
I guess it's one of those personal things, if you love the bike enough, then I guess it wouldn't be a big deal.
I was wearing bike boots so the soles are reasonably hard.. if you plan on riding in runners, I'm guessing it wouldn't be so bad (not that that'd be a bright idea  ;))

Most of the vibration ws around 6 to 7000 rpm.
But due to the nature of the bike.... that's where you spend a fair bit of time. That enging starts making power about 6000 rpm
So canyon carving, you probably wouldn't notice because you'd be well above that range. but if you ride in traffic much then it's right in the rev band you're likely to sit at.

The rest of the bike was great.. the tacho is digital and a little hard to read.. but that's a minor thing.

It'd be worth trying to find someone selling one privately that you could take for a ride, or try and find somewhere that hires bikes out
and do that. It'll probably cost you $100 or so, but you'd have a whole day to find out if you like the bike enough to buy.

Just remember... the inline 4 needs revs. below about 6000, the z750 is very tame and almost slow, but above that there's plenty of power.
The SV makes power much lower. Worth keeping in mind when you think about the type of riding you prefer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts