Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to have a moan as scooter riders drive me mad sometimes!

Over here in London we have a lot of people riding scooters and it's exactly as a fellow biker mate of mine said, these are people who ride for convenience NOT for love hence why they have no mental capacity to think what they should and shouldn't be doing... the worst is PARKING!!!

Two days ago I got some new scratches on my bike and nearly lost my indicator cos a scooter parked in such a way next to me, I couldn't get my bike out! They just don't think or don't care!

They also tend to ride like loonies....like they're trying to prove something. Always try to overtake you whilst I'm like: whatever mate, I can't be bothered to race you in a built up area with a 30mph speed limit, double decker buses, cars and pedestrians jumping out. Then they wonder why they have so many accidents.... I know if I wanted to, I could leave you a mile behind me in a second. You're just not worth my while...
If I want to speed I go on a motorway

·
Registered
16 Posts
A lot of them are 16 year old's, and students. They still think they have something to prove.

They always speed up without fail when they see a motorbike, which is funny since I've been able to thrash them since my 125cc days! Only difference now is that I could do it in first gear.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The majority of the scooters here are bought for commuting and comparative cheapness to run and park. For many I suspect its the economy, rather than any interest in two wheels that appeals to them. They seem to range from new Vespas in beautiful colours to a horde of cheap unrecognisable brands in varying states of condition.
Still anything with two wheels and a engine ( even if it is in the wrong place!) has got to be Gods work as we all know. As for the riders, well i observe a huge range of abilities, but I see that in bikes and cars as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its because most don't know any better. Very few scooter riders look to take the test so don't get any more training than the CBT and don't know how to ride safely. The only scooters that i see without L plates are the classic Vespa/Lambretta people.

Plus the invincible 16 year olds on 'peds who might be lucky and trade it in for a car at 17

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot of them are 16 year old's, and students. They still think they have something to prove.

They always speed up without fail when they see a motorbike, which is funny since I've been able to thrash them since my 125cc days! Only difference now is that I could do it in first gear.
Hahahahaha brilliant and so true :D

I do wonder what goes through theirs heads tho.... do they REALLY think they can take on a motorbike....? Fools :D

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
I moan at threads like these.

Haha, just teasing ;)

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I had one jump to the front at a red light, accelerate in front of my car, then proceed to go 20mph on a 30mph street. After a while, I just started tailgating him cause f&ck this a$$hole. He then proceeded to nonchalantly run the next red light. Good riddance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
First class example yesterday: I just parked up in a bike bay when a bloke on a ****ty scooter turns up (cos at least if it's a nice scooter they make more effort with parking...)
He proceeds to try to squeeze into a tiny gap next to a nice motorbike while I'm stood watching. I couldn't not stay silent, so I said to him "Mate, there's another bike bay literally ten meters away and it's empty. This bike will not be able to get out because of you!". He's adamant it will be fine. I say to him "Trust me I nearly lost an indicator this way cos I couldn't get my bike out". He carries on nonetheless manoeuvring the scooter in. I dread to think how the poor biker got out. Idiot scooter man doesn't think or care! They forget that unlike a scooter, a bike when parked is at an angle. Once you want to get it out you have to get it vertical again which is impossible if a vehicle is THAT close to you. You WILL get a scratch. You cannot wheel the bike out an an angle or it will topple you! I certainly cannot!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
First class example yesterday: I just parked up in a bike bay when a bloke on a ****ty scooter turns up (cos at least if it's a nice scooter they make more effort with parking...)
He proceeds to try to squeeze into a tiny gap next to a nice motorbike while I'm stood watching. I couldn't not stay silent, so I said to him "Mate, there's another bike bay literally ten meters away and it's empty. This bike will not be able to get out because of you!". He's adamant it will be fine. I say to him "Trust me I nearly lost an indicator this way cos I couldn't get my bike out". He carries on nonetheless manoeuvring the scooter in. I dread to think how the poor biker got out. Idiot scooter man doesn't think or care! They forget that unlike a scooter, a bike when parked is at an angle. Once you want to get it out you have to get it horizontal again which is impossible if a vehicle is THAT close to you. You WILL get a scratch. You cannot wheel the bike out an an angle or it will topple you! I certainly cannot!
Yup. At our campus (HUNDREDS of scooters), people will just pick up the scooters that are in the way to get out.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Most of the scooters around here are from delivery places. They tend to ride all the way to the right out of anyone's way. I feel bad if a parked car opens their door. The others I encounter are the hipsters with their Vespas and Stellas. Never had a problem with any of them. Most of the time I have a decent conversation with the ones that have an older than 80's model and know what they're talking about and didn't just get it because it was the hip thing to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts