Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Just found a cool helmet on ebay and wanted to know what you think.
Main criteria are: needs to be safe and have a dual visor. Bonus = flip up, bluetooth and air pump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12090494951...aketrack=true&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_5110wt_948

Its cheap and looks ok..

Anyone ever get one of those helmets with the air pump business? / is that any good?

Also, friends have told me that the dual visor system can be dangerous in case of an accident.. I can't imagine how?

Cheers
Max

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
you need to try on the helmet to get the right size. I would not buy a helmet from ebay without trying it on somewhere first and good luck finding that in a store

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have an HJC with a dual visor, and it occurred to me that if the helmet took an impact, the inner lens would stand a good chance of cutting my nose right off :/ At the least, giving me a quick nose job by shearing off the tip.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an HJC with a dual visor, and it occurred to me that if the helmet took an impact, the inner lens would stand a good chance of cutting my nose right off :/ At the least, giving me a quick nose job by shearing off the tip.
sounds like a lot of fun indeed!

Do you really think I should try them on? I measured the circumference of my head and its a small..

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Since you usually can't try the fit on an eBay helmet before purchase, just make sure you can send it back if you don't like the fit.

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
I would not put my life into a $35 helmet. only helmets I wear are what the pros wear that are tested time and time again.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Based on the WebBikeWorld helmet test articles, as long as the helmet has at least one of the approving organizations certifications, it should provide adequate protection. Generally speaking, the more expensive brands should offer less weight and better noise characteristics, but not necessarily that much more protection. At the same time, more money spent on design features can translate into more safety simply because the wearer can see better and may not get as tired since the more expensive helmet may not be as heavy or hot or whatever, making it easier to wear for extended periods.
I have noticed that the helmets I have tried on w/built-in sun visors seem to be a little thicker due to the visor and seemed to me to feel as if I was looking thru a tube and didn't seem to offer as wide a field of view as a helmet that didn't have the internal sun visor. As an example, I have a Vega Summit II helmet w/o internal sun visor and a Vega Bluetooth helmet with internal visor. I prefer the feel and fit of the Summit II helmet, primarily because the Summit II feels like it has a wider field of view. The Vega Bluetooth helmet is nice because of the Bluetooth feature, but it doesn't feel as comfortable to me and the extra depth to accommodate the internal sun visor makes me feel like I have a reduced field of view. From a geometry aspect, if your head is tilted forward, the extra depth due to the internal visor makes your vision slot seem narrower, reducing your field of view.
Read the WebBikeWorld helmet reviews and the helmet shape guide referenced above and buy the helmet you feel provides the best fit and protection at a price you feel is reasonable. It's your head. Of the helmets I have bought, HJC and Vega helmets seem to offer the best fit and features/cost ratio for my money. You and others may prefer other brands.
If you live near a Cycle Gear, try wearing a Bilt helmet if you want an inexpensive helmet that meets DOT standards. Of course, if you don't like the fit, don't buy it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on the WebBikeWorld helmet test articles, as long as the helmet has at least one of the approving organizations certifications, it should provide adequate protection. Generally speaking, the more expensive brands should offer less weight and better noise characteristics, but not necessarily that much more protection. At the same time, more money spent on design features can translate into more safety simply because the wearer can see better and may not get as tired since the more expensive helmet may not be as heavy or hot or whatever, making it easier to wear for extended periods.
Good point

I saw the "cheap" ones are polycarbonate, and the 250usd ones are also polycarbonate - only >500 do the start to speak of carbon fiber and fiberglass.

The trick is I guess not to fall off. I'm going to a shop over the weekend and will see if I can find something decent.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
MaxP, I overlooked the fact you live in Switzerland, so obviously there isn't a Cycle Gear nearby. My bad!
I assume you have some decent riding roads near you. Most of the roads around the Houston, TX area are too straight and too flat and when you find some curves, they aren't very long!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MaxP, I overlooked the fact you live in Switzerland, so obviously there isn't a Cycle Gear nearby. My bad!
I assume you have some decent riding roads near you. Most of the roads around the Houston, TX area are too straight and too flat and when you find some curves, they aren't very long!
I live 10mins from the Blackforest in Switzerland, 30minutes from France, 40 minutes from Austria an Italia is about 2hours away - You have no idea how great these roads are :)
I got my sv (first big bike) in april and have done 8000km on it so far :S

Love it to bits.

Will check out bike shop called "louis" over the weekend, they have a big helmet sortiment

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like a nice place to live! Have done a fair deal of traveling down those areas about 15 years ago (by car). Can´t wait until I get the chance to ride my bike from Sweden and down into Europe.

Louis has a great sortiment - of everything. I bought their small tank bag called Moto-Detail City 2 for 24 Euros. Great quality.

As far as helmets go, I have recently bought the AGV Skyline, with integrated sunvisor. To me, it´s very comfortable, decently quiet, and very light.

Good luck in your helmet shopping!

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
TMS helmets are made in China....which in and of itself isn't necessarily bad, but 'DOT' certification is self applied and NOT tested by outside agencies. (at least that is what I've read) Snell Certification IS tested and can give you a better helmet....or not. Much controversy over that, but a company that makes Snell helmets is much more likely to make a good DOT helmet IMHO.

If you are actually wanting a helmet to protect your head....I'd do lots of research on the TMS before buying one. If you don't really care and are just getting a cheapo to satisfy the local Law....it'll work as well or better than the little plastic beanie's the Harley Types wear.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Good point

I saw the "cheap" ones are polycarbonate, and the 250usd ones are also polycarbonate - only >500 do the start to speak of carbon fiber and fiberglass.

The trick is I guess not to fall off. I'm going to a shop over the weekend and will see if I can find something decent.

Thanks
There are plenty of composite helmets out there for MUCH less than 500 bucks. Example: The Scorpion EXO700 is a very popular budget helmet with similar features to more expensive helmets.

I wouldn't trust that ebay helmet further than an infant could throw it. IMO, if you can't afford proper safety equipment then find a cheaper hobby.

·
MOTORADOR
10,969 Posts
I had a TMS helmet which I actually liked a lot until I lost one of the inner pads (dumb story). The quality was actually very OK and I did never see anything that would make me think it wouldn't do its job during a crash.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=Scorpion+EXO-1000+Helmets

EXO-1000 fit most of your wants except flip up, Mine worked very well. I "tested" it last year and have no complaints and upgraded to the EXO-1100. The check pump feature is nice for freeway driving, but I never use it on short rides. The internal visor is one of my favorite features, keeps me from having to worry about changing visors.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=Scorpion+EXO-1000+Helmets

EXO-1000 fit most of your wants except flip up, Mine worked very well. I "tested" it last year and have no complaints and upgraded to the EXO-1100. The check pump feature is nice for freeway driving, but I never use it on short rides. The internal visor is one of my favorite features, keeps me from having to worry about changing visors.

WOW

Thanks for all the feedback! I am liking this one very much:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11631

Will check out Louis if they have anything like that - not sure how much it will cost though..
If its super expensive maybe someone could help me out?
Anyone feel like making a few $ by ordering and sending me one of these from the States? Can also offer bike tour when in mainland europe :p

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
WOW

Thanks for all the feedback! I am liking this one very much:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11631

Will check out Louis if they have anything like that - not sure how much it will cost though..
If its super expensive maybe someone could help me out?
Anyone feel like making a few $ by ordering and sending me one of these from the States? Can also offer bike tour when in mainland europe :p
My last helmet was a Scorpion EXO 1000. It was pretty good, but very heavy. It fit well, so the weight wasn't a huge issue, but it was there. The flip down visor is a cool idea that I really wanted in a helmet, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. It doesn't flip down far enough to block out enough light (probably due to crash concerns), which means the flip down visor never truly did its job. It really just ended up doing nothing more than adding additional weight. A much better solution is to buy a dark visor and keep a clear one with you in a tankbag or something.

I crashed on the highway in my Scorpion. The helmet was rashed up and had a small crack in the back, but I had absolutely no head injuries from the crash, not even dazed.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I would not put my life into a $35 helmet. only helmets I wear are what the pros wear that are tested time and time again.
Time and time again? Really?? Every time I "test" a helmet I have to buy a new one. ;D

On a more serious note, helmet design and effectiveness are controversial issues. A few years back some mag (Cycle World? Motorcyclist?) did a comparison using several standard tests which showed that some of the very best helmets are cheap, that some of the testing standards were flawed, and that you don't necessarily get what you pay for. I don't know whether Snell, DOT and/or CE have upgraded their standards since.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Snell 2010 was changed in part because of that test (and others like it). The reason that test showed the cheap helmets to be better is because Snell 2005 required a helmet to sustain multiple impacts in a very small area. That required a thick, stiff shell. When the impact was spread out to a larger area of the helmet (which is more likely in a street crash) the thick Snell 2005 shells didn't have enough give to absorb any energy, thus transferring more to the foam and ultimately to the wearer. Snell 2010 revised this requirement, which allows the shell to absorb more of the energy from the impact. As a side bonus, Snell 2010 allows a helmet to weigh less than Snell 2005.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts