Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
1650 isn't a horrible counter, you'll want to check kbb or the nada to make sure it's not a complete rip off for the year. I paid 2000 for an '01 with 30,000 two summers ago and have loved it, no big problems. Just make sure the engine and tranny are in good condition, no weird sounds, smooth operation. Plan to do an oil change, brake fluid flush and maybe a coolant flush first thing even if he tells u it's all just been done because you just don't know. The bike looks really clean and in good shape, but take a friend with you who knows bikes if you're not sure about all the questions you should ask and things to examine. Well that's my .02, good luck.

Sent from my pocket Oracle

·
Registered
106 Posts
Front blinkers are missing and the front sv650s logo is missing, I wonder why.
That happens when repaint the bike... after dropping it...

Still... An SV is a great bike to learn on for riding and doing proper maintenance. Given the lack of signals you may be able to get the offer down a bit more but as previously indicated, funny noises mean run away and take someone who knows what those funny noises are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I have,a friend who knows some coming. He said 40,000 was a ****load of miles. Are these usually reliable after 40k? Ive searched and found that they last longer than like an r1 type of bike.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Seems decent. Should last quite a while longer.

If someone offered me $500 when I had a bike posted for $1800 I'd tell them to **** off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is this huge misconception out there among a lot of riders that anything over a couple thousand miles and the bike is no good. The majority of motorcycles don't even hit there brake-in point until 7000, this is when you would do the first chain adjustment and first big tune up. Back when I was selling bikes I met a lot of people that would literally ride there bikes till the wheels came off. For one guy from Florida that was around 250,000 miles, he ended up just riding away on a new bike to start it all over again with. Met one lady with a Yamaha working on hitting 400,000, bike was in great shape and she had only ever needed to do the normal type of maintenance. Now these are both extreme cases, but just because a bike has some miles in it doesn't mean you need to be afraid to buy it, if it's in good shape.

Sent from my pocket Oracle

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems decent. Should last quite a while longer.

If someone offered me $500 when I had a bike posted for $1800 I'd tell them to **** off.
Apparently im still learning to type also....i offered 1500. Kbb says 2400 in perfect condition. Im gonna go see it today, cant wait

·
Registered
29 Posts
My daily driver is an '02 sv650s w/ 40k miles on it. I took it on the hwy home after i bought it, and it drove fine. It all depends on how the seller took care of it. (Mine was posted at 1900, bought for 1500)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My '02 still runs like new, and I have like 38k on it. Don't be scared off by the miles. The price is a great deal, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Apparently im still learning to type also....i offered 1500. Kbb says 2400 in perfect condition. Im gonna go see it today, cant wait
ok that's reasonable, I've just had too many people lowball me so I'm sure you understand :)

if you've got a multimeter I'd bring it and make sure it charges well, other than that not much goes wrong on SVs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok that's reasonable, I've just had too many people lowball me so I'm sure you understand :)

if you've got a multimeter I'd bring it and make sure it charges well, other than that not much goes wrong on SVs
No multimeter... Worst case I have to buy A new battery right? Ar they pricy

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
No, worst case you'd have to buy a new stator and Regulator/Rectifier (R/R). More likely just the R/R.

No real way to spot wear, other than if it's draining the battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I did have to have my bike checked for shorts after I bought it though. It was dying on my as I rode. Turned out to be the kill switch that wasn't grounded.
In my opinion it's worth bringing a multimeter to test connections.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought it, rode good. Can't wait to get it home! (first bike and its an hour way on scary fast freeways lol, ) he tailored it for 40 bucks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats man, I think you'll be happy with your choice. There's a ton of great info on here so just keep reading the forums and you'll learn a lot. Good luck.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 20 of 22 Posts