Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2008 I highsided my 05 SV at 80mph. A month later I joined the air force and was stationed overseas. I have finally got my hands back on the bike, but am running into issues.

For starters, the key was lost somewhere between the time I stored it at my dads and the time she took over his estate after he died. I found a locksmith that cut me two keys based on the ignition cylinder for only $25. The key works great for the ignition and the rear seat cowl, but only turns the gas cap about 45 degrees. Are the tumblers different for the cap? Or is it gunked up from bein stored outside? Any way to remove a half locked cap?

I tried to start the bike, but it's complete dead. I know it ran before I stored it, because I posted a post wreck video of my exhaust on here. I tried to charge the battery with a trickle charger, but as soon as I hook it up, it says their is a fault. Is this do to a very old dead battery? Or possibly some sort of wiring that got ruined from sitting?

I'm sure there are more issues, but these are what's holding me back from it atleast running.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
get some fresh gas in there b/4 you start it, that old fuel is probably no good and even if it starts and runs a little bit, it will end up clogging the injectors, if it hasn't already. maybe mix some cleaner, like seafoam, in the gas.

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Welcome back, and thanks for your service.

As others have said, the battery is toast. At this point it won't even take a charge, that's why the charger is reading "fault".

I would completely drain the tank and inspect it for rust before filling with fresh 87 octane (no Ethanol if possible) and 1 oz per gal of Seafoam or Techron Concentrate.

Be prepared to crank a while. Crank for 10 seconds max, and leave it set for 30 seconds between tries. After 3 or 4 tries, hook up the charger and give it some time to charge. Don't be in a hurry. Letting it sit overnight may let the fresh gas and cleaner mix with the old gas and help it start easier. Try cranking with the throttle closed, but also open it 1/4 or so occasionally if it doesn't start.

Let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan is to buy a new battery, hopefully today.

I was also planning to just entirely drain the tank of old gas, but I still have the problem of the key only turning the lock on the cap about 45 degrees instead of the 90 it takes to unlock the cap. Any way to remove a locked gas cap without damaging it?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
the gas cap may be gunked up too, the key should of course turn it all the way. try some spray cleaners in the keyhole. if that doesn't work, unscrew the allen bolts and you should be able to take the whole thing off and then clean the gunk from the underside of the cap. (i think only half the bolts hold the cap down the others are for decoration.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up undoing all the Allen bolts, then pressing down on the cap as I turned the key. This revealed a tank full of rust, and a cap completely gunked up underneath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts