Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i've seized my motor somehow. i'm pretty sure it's a spun rod bearing cause there was copper shavings on the oil drain plug when i pulled it. :'( anyways, i have some options here:

1. tear engine apart and replace bearings if crank and rods are still good.

2. buy a known good crank and rods and swap that into my engine.

3. complete engine swap which is easier, yet a lot more expensive.

NOW, my questions regarding option #3....

1. will ANY SV650 engine fit, as in will a 2 gen fit a 1 gen frame?

2. will a SV1000 engine fit my 650 frame?

3. will ANY SV1000 engine fit IF an SV1000 can fit into a 650 frame?

and finally a question regarding option #2....

is ANOTHER SV650 crank and rods my only option? on Ebay, i've seen people advertise cranks as SV650 / V-strom!? what other bikes can i steal from for crank / rods?

Thanks for any help. This IS my only source of transportation so i am eager to get it back on the road asap!

;D

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Ok, so i've seized my motor somehow. i'm pretty sure it's a spun rod bearing cause there was copper shavings on the oil drain plug when i pulled it. :'( anyways, i have some options here:

1. tear engine apart and replace bearings if crank and rods are still good.

2. buy a known good crank and rods and swap that into my engine.

3. complete engine swap which is easier, yet a lot more expensive.

NOW, my questions regarding option #3....

1. will ANY SV650 engine fit, as in will a 2 gen fit a 1 gen frame?

2. will a SV1000 engine fit my 650 frame?

3. will ANY SV1000 engine fit IF an SV1000 can fit into a 650 frame?

and finally a question regarding option #2....

is ANOTHER SV650 crank and rods my only option? on Ebay, i've seen people advertise cranks as SV650 / V-strom!? what other bikes can i steal from for crank / rods?

Thanks for any help. This IS my only source of transportation so i am eager to get it back on the road asap!

;D
1. tear the engine apart and see what needs to be replaced.

2. first do 1. ^ How do you know it's a good crank ?? Most cranks are from engine's with engine damage. You only know that it's a good crank when you buy it brand new.

How do you know if a engine swap is more expensive if you don't know whats broken ??

3.1.any sv engine will fit, you only need to swap some parts when you want to mount a FI engine with carbs(rotor, stator, valve covers, and some other parts) Use the search function, there are a few members that made a FI engine run with the first gen carbs

3.2 No a sv1000 engine will not fit.

It's best to tear the engine apart to see what the engine damage is, this way you know how much it will cost and if it's a cheaper option to swap the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
+1 on what Spierings said.

And yeah, the DL650 aka V-Strom 650 shares the same basic motor architecture with the SV650 - it's basically a 2nd gen SV engine.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
+1 on what Spierings said.

And yeah, the DL650 aka V-Strom 650 shares the same basic motor architecture with the SV650 - it's basically a 2nd gen SV engine.
The DL650 aka V-Strom engine's are not exactly the same. Only the basic. I have read somewhere that they have other cams and a heavier flywheel and maybe a other crank. If it's got a other crank i do not now for sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spierings,
thanks for your input. i tried the search function with failure! :(

ok, so NO SV1000.... ****!

you are deffinately right.... i don't know exactly what the damage to the engine itself is till i tear into it, but it won't turn over at all, only clicks when the starter button is depressed. also, found copper shavings on drain plug when pulled. i'm in the process of pulling engine out now. i called my local Suzuki parts dealer in town and i'm looking at over $1100 for a new crank, rods, and bearings (may come with if bought new). after looking on Ebay, i've determined that an engine swap would be cheaper than new parts. BUT, IF i only need bearings; it's gonna run me a little over $100.

I know i have options once i figure out exactly what needs replacing, i mostly wanted to know if the SV1000 engine would fit, and if i could look at other cranks besides SV cranks.

Wish me luck! oh yeah, i've decided to go ahead and tear apart the entire bike and paint my frame and swingarm and take care of a few other here's and there's. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The engine swap is a lot easier and quicker than breaking the engine apart. If you are patient you should be able to find a good one for <$700. Plus the old engine can be used to recover some of the cost by selling the parts.

You sure that bike isn't cursed? :p

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Ask some one who really knows http://www.twfracing.com/forums/ I will be sending my bike to Zoran for engine work in a few weeks,I will post a dyno sheet after. It pays to send it to some one who knows them like the back of his hand. He will answer your questions honestly and accurately with no thought of what is in it for him,that is rare these days. Good luck

you can't reasonably put a 1000 in your 650,anything can be done but it is not practical. I think you can use any 650 engine and swap FI/carb parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts