Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those stories that just makes you go:

Ok, so I decided to ride my dads crf450x to school yesterday (even in the horrendous wind) and I decided to go up a longer way to play around. After I got done screwing around out in the hills I decided to take a shortcut through one of the "upper-class in the hills" areas. Just for clarification I live out in a desert town and where I was at I wasn't endangering myself or anyone else by riding on the street. Anyway, as I was approaching an intersection a guy on a cbr600 blows past me and stops and waits at the intersection. I casually pull up beside him because it was obvious he wanted me to. I expected him to give the casual wave or whatever but instead he bounced his rpms at me; at this time I was thinking "are you fricken serious?!" but I figured "ah what the hell, It will make for an interesting few seconds." I gave the accepting rev bounce and we kinda did a "3-2-1-Go thing". I hit my throttle pretty hard and of course I expected him to just fly forward and that would be the end of it. Well that didn't happen, I figured he was just sitting there giving me a head start and then was going to fly by like some cool guy. I rode hard down the street and around a surprisingly nice curve, I leaned pretty hard and I swear my peg must have touched the ground. I made it around the curve and slowed some, confused. I stopped and looked around and the guy was no where. I looked farther back and there he was, standing next to a layed-over bike about 30 feet from the intersection. I rode back to see if he was ok, and he was (I was chuckling inside). We talked for a bit and apparently he had only had the bike for about a week and had next to no previous experience riding. I am assuming he let off the clutch too... umm ... jerk-a-ly? and lifted his front end off the ground which scared the $#!7 outa him and he lost control. His bike looked alright minus a cracked and scratched fairing and tank but I advised him to get a ride back to wherever instead of riding a what could be compromised bike. I rode the rest of the way to school and I was laughing the entire time.

Now that I think about it, it kinda bugs me that someone could buy a new cbr600 with no riding experience while I'm stuck not even getting a bike because I had to be responsible and buy a laptop for school lol.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sucks to be him...hopefully he learned something and doesn't kill himself on that thing.
I think he did, he seemed pretty shaken up. He was wearing decent gear for the most part, (high top boots, riding jacket, helmet, and gloves), so at least he has that going for him.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
haha.

i think people need to be required to have taken a MSF class before purchasing a bike, or having it registered and licensed under their name.
It's hard to find a place to take the course when you live way out in the boonies. The commute to take the course makes it impossible for me. I'm far from a beginner, but it would be nice to pick up some good info and training.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
back in the day, i worked at MotoEast[Yamaha, Norton,AJS, Ducati, MotoGuzzi] in Cincy when somebody was looking at bikes and thought, "i'll just get a little 350" as there're looking at an RD350[for a 1st bike!!], i'd tell them they'd be better off with the TX500, 'oh no, that's to big' well, the RD is NOT a beginner bike, of course there wasn't any MSF back then, just a tour of the parking lot!! we had more than a couple people 'buy' the bike in the parking lot!! lolol people just don't listen...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts