Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm replacing the gear set and chain on a 2003 SV-1000 with 4,500 miles on it. I'm an old fat guy so the stock gearing is fine for me. What is the current "favorite" chain? I was thinking of an X-Ring D.I.D. but would love to get your opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
X - Ring will give you a fair amount longer life if I've read correctly. You'll be getter a good chain with either D.I.D. or RK, just find what you like best. Here is a good place to try: http://www.sprocketcenter.com/

·
Registered
661 Posts
DID X-ring, 530 ZVM2 with the gold plates and black rollers. I kept it the same pitch (530) as stock and got the highest tensile strength chain they make. According to whitebuffaloracing and cogent motorsports the gold is more rust resistant since I leave my bike outside often (covered of course!). Combined with steel sprockets from Drive Systems and I expect at least 15-17k miles out of this combo. Just gotta clean, lube and check tension on a regular basis.

Already had one trackday on this setup and it did just fine. I definitely could shave a lot of weight and increase drivetrain response w/ a 520 conversion and alum. sprockets. However, I'm going for component life over outright performance for now.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i got the stealth /did chainring combo and i saw latter on(these pages) that they're known for not being quite round,and sure enough. The stock ring wasn't really round either, which chainrings are really round? could it be in the hub? I heard the krause tri metals are rounder, anyone know this is true? Went +1 on the back gear, made more of a difference than i thought it would, havn't cruised highway yet with it just a couple blasts around my semi local neighborhood,so i'm not sure if the extra revs at highway speeds are gonna be annoying.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Hello all,

I'm replacing the gear set and chain on a 2003 SV-1000 with 4,500 miles on it. I'm an old fat guy so the stock gearing is fine for me. What is the current "favorite" chain? I was thinking of an X-Ring D.I.D. but would love to get your opinions.

Thanks!
chain & sprockets already worn @ 4500 ?

I've had best luck cost per mile with oem front and regular DID o-ring, steel rear

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Randy,

No they are not worn. But it looks like this bikes spent a lot of time outside. I am just trying to replace any wearing or neglected or old (still has the original tires). I'm going to be powder coating the wheels before putting on new tires, and I figured it would also be a good time to put a fresh chain and sprockets on it.

By the way, I love your sig file!

Thanks on and all for the help!

Regards,
Bald Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks!
X-ring is a great chain. I run them on my quads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts