1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
601 Posts
good review. you will be come more confident on the bike the more you ride it, and you will ike it even more. I love the white racing stripe on the blue it looks sick.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I'll keep the review updated as I put more miles on the bike.

I actually had a choice between the gray 08 or the blue/white 09 for an extra 200...had to go with the blue/white.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That 'unconnected' feeling may very well be due to the crappy factory suspension. Sure, it may be stiffer than your CX, but that doesn't make it good by any means.

You can get different springs and oil for the forks for ~$120 from Rich at Sonic Springs. You have a few different options for the rear...for under $100 you can get an '06-'07 ZX-10R (if you're on the lighter side) or '06+ ZX-14 rear shock. Both will fit without modification (assuming you get the lower mounting bolt specific for the shock you buy) and are leaps and bound better than factory.

Another thing to consider is the tires. Again, while the Dunlop D220s may be better than what was on your CX, that doesn't make them good. I would suggest a sport/touring tire like Michelin Pilot Road 2, Dunlop RoadSmart, or Continental ContiRoadAttack. Tires can have more of an impact on overall feel and handling than you may think..

Nice write-up, by the way.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nice writeup, I love the brake section... lol. I think so many riders obsess about brakes and upgrading. To your point I think bikes like the SV (and my old Hawk) have the perfect amount of braking power for the street. I just really don't see a need for the "2 fingers and over the handlebars you go" that a lot of people like to upgrade to. It's been more than once where I had an emergency abrupt stop and with brakes like that, I'd have probably gone down.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Spend a day riding SuperSports and you'll soon learn that the SV brakes suck, lol.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i'm curious about the tires not feeling planted. are they over-inflated maybe? are you still using bias ply tires on the cx (please tell you didn't sell the honda guzzi!!!). i'm curious if they just feel different. it has to be more than 10 years since i was on a bias ply street tire. but i would think that they should definitely feel different.

fyi, i didn't remap for my full m4. a/f chart looked fine.

Spend a day riding SuperSports and you'll soon learn that the SV brakes suck, lol.
as someone who is not a big fan the sv's brakes, they are still better than the brakes on the last indian chief i rode.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I learned on an 82 cx500, and that review is spot on. I loved that bike, but this bike is leaps and bounds ahead. Leo vince slip on was my first mod and it made all the difference in feeling good about the power! the ride is a lot more harsh, those springs in the rear helped a lot more then i gave em credit for. good write up!

·
Registered
406 Posts
brakes? what brakes?

The only time I use the brakes is when i'm actually stopping.

No, seriously, whenever i'm on the twisties, I just use the engine braking.
it's all about carrying our speed.

the thing i like most about my sv is it really reminds me a lot of my old cb550.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts