Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 SV 650...runs great, well maintained. New battery within the last year. ridden regularily 3 or 4 days a week. The bike recently started doing this thing where I go for a ride then shut down the bike. When I go to re-start, turn ignition key and push the starter switch, I get nothing (no clicking sound...just nothing) and then, after one or two tries, the bike fires up just fine. Doesn't seem to matter if the bikes in gear or in neutral. It doesn't always do this, but has been doing it more frequently lately. (just as futher explanation, I generally do NOT use the engine kill switch, I leave it "on" all the time, I just shut off the key in the ignition. When I do use the engine kill switch, it seems to make no difference.) Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
When you turn the ignition on and the bike doesn't start, do the lights and gauges come on, do the turn signals work and the horn? I would ride with a multimeter so when this happens, you can trouble shoot looking for where the power should be and isn't. But, I would check the clutch switch first. Bring along a paper clip so you can bypass the switch when the bike doesn't start. Assuming everything electrical works except the starting circuit, after the clutch switch, I would look for power at the kill and start button and then to the starter relay. Maybe just the start button is acting up from corrosion and wear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Maybe just the start button is acting up from corrosion and wear.
I agree with RMAN. You can clean the switch contact area, since most time the copper does need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great! Found the clutch switch, cleaned things up a bit with DeOxit (contact/electronic parts deoxidizer + cleaner) and it works like a champ!
Thanks a bunch for the advice

·
Registered
962 Posts
great! Found the clutch switch, cleaned things up a bit with DeOxit (contact/electronic parts deoxidizer + cleaner) and it works like a champ!
Thanks a bunch for the advice
These are known for being faulty. You COULD always bypass it completely. I've been riding with no clutch switch for years with no "mishaps". Just sayin'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to resurrect an old thread, does anyone have a pic of where the clutch switch is and what it looks like? I have same starter button issue, pushing it all the way in, not even a click, but sometimes will turn over just fine. My '99 is heavily modded, so there is a bunch of extra wiring hear the starter button.

Thanx for any suggestions,
Joel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts