Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
A long backround, Moto, BMX, MTB....pays off all the time on the road in bike handling skills.....

·
Registered
684 Posts
i started at age 6. the funny part was my family wasnt even in to motorcyling

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, over the years I've meet a lot of fast street riders. and always the fastest were dirt riders. You learn the basic's on the dirt. How to slide, how to push the front end. HOW to crash. There is a right and wrong way to crash. Stuff that would take years to learn on the street, you can learn in one winter on a dirt bike. I am surprised  at some of the threads on this site pertaining to riding skills. Stuff I don't even think about. But then again I'm am almost old enough to be Grand Pa to some of you. Ya'll should get ya some sort of dirt bike and go out an learn how to really ride. Besides, it's a hell of a lot of fun. Sliding around in the mud and stuff. ;D  

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1
no age requirement to ride a dirtbike ;D (legally... :p)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
just on my SV, prolly 40,000 of my 120,000 miles

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am the opposite of most people. I started on my SV and then somehow managed to pick up a Honda XR200 to tool around on! It's like moutain biking on hyperspeed and way easier to jump than a bicycle.

Anyway I had about 15,000 miles on my SV by the time I got to ride dirt (I was also an avid mountain biker), so that made it really easy to learn. Those things are so freaking nimble they make my SV feel like a tugboat (but with a bigger engine )!

-josh

P.S. Speaking of dirt riding... check out the video... I want one!: http://www.gomeyer.com/rippervid.htm?osCsid=8368baf7ae1cf3c71543e01e70645306

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
randomSV650 said:
Actually,i recently sold my IT200 so i could get the SV...i miss it :(
I have my IT200 and it rocks (for 20$ almost anything rocks). I've had some prior dirtbike experience, but nothing really that hardcore. I did race BMX for awhile, which has much of the same concept as motocross, just slower and more exercise. I tried the downhill mountain biking stuff, with a regular mountain bike. Fun stuff, but wrecked alot and it got the point where there was more pain then fun (nuts on handlebar ended it for me).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I raced motorcross bikes for years. I think I started some time around 6 or so. I've also raced snowmobiles, watercraft and moutain bikes. All of these have helped w/road handling skills.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I agree, I grew up riding dirt bikes, then racing them. It does help with street bike skills, I think thats why I have no problems riding my SV down a gravel rd, driveway etc at 60 MPH, just ask triton, who couldnt keep up in a truck.

Woody

·
Registered
270 Posts
i used to ride dirt in like fifth grade...then it turned to riding the dirtbikes throught the neighborhood, then it turned to jumping the lawns and driveways of the downhill parts of the neighborhood. :-\..then i rode bmx, mountainbikes,and didnt touch a motorcycle until 8 years later when i was 18 and i learned hoew to ride a cbr 600 rr...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got my first mini-bike (5 hp lawn mower engine on a mini chopper hard tail frame with knobby tires) when I was about 6, then a TL 125 trials bike when I was 11, then an xr 250 when I was 15. I sold that when I left for college, and I've been riding street since. My main attraction to the SV was that it felt so much like a thumper dirt bike compared to most other street bikes out there. The low end torque, engine braking, and seating position (of the naked) really reminds me of riding a big bore thumper. I'm dying to get another dirt bike though, the only thing that compares to flying through the twisties on the sv is flying down a tight trail on a dirt bike.

Hey evilbologna, did I read that you got an IT 200 for $20????? It that's true, I'll give you $40! You'll double your money, and I'll have a dirt bike again, everybody wins!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts