Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned on descending into West Virginia this morning, but changed my mind last minute. It dawned on me that the Flight 93 Memorial is only about 55 miles from me, right down US 30, and I never took the time to go see the plaque I made the Pattern for 2 days after 9/11. So, that was my plan.

Started out as a good trip :rolleyes: The red light where I cross Rt 30 to hit the ATM does not sense bikes. So I zipped across when the opposing traffic had the green, and promptly got lit up by North Huntington Twp's. finest. He let me go after checking my papers were all current and I took off my helmet so he could see that was my license. "This picture doesn't have dog ears on it sir, I need to see your face." Saw him set up at the bottom of Jacktown Hill with his VASCAR, he waved.
Anyhow once I got to Stoystown (actually closer to the crash site than Shanksville) I was awestruck at how empty the area was. There's absolutely nothing out there other than fields.

You pull in to a hardscrabble parking lot, there's a fence with items left on it, a 10 x 15 Guard Shack, 20 benches facing the crash site, and nothing else.

Forty angels

Twenty benches, each with two names

Keep in mind it's been almost 7 f'ing years and this is the best OUR COUNTRY could do for these people? Tears are rolling down my face, not of sadness or reverence for the heroes, but of shame and frustration. I was embarrassed that these people died in a selfless act and all they have are a thousand little pins, painted rocks and ceramic angels to remember them by?

There was a local firefighter giving a speech in front of the angels to the people gathered on the benches. after his talk, I asked him to take my picture in front of the plaque I made. he did, and had to repeatedly shoo folks out of the way. Finally he said, "Hey, this guy made this, will you let me take his picture" Then he get a clear shot of me holding his folder with the pictures of the 40 who perished. That's not the sun in my eyes, I'm fighting to act like a "big boy" and not cry on the camera.

Afterwards some heavyset, older European woman hugged me and thanked me, as did a couple of blurry eyed Harley guys. I lost it right there. I went back to the bike and had a thermos of coffee and chainsmoked until I could see good enough to gear back up and leave.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: A day with no goal

At the center of the pic, almost at the base of the hill is a little speck of silver. That is the fence surrounding the actual crash site. Only Family members of the deceased are allowed in there. Off to the right, the little pink blur is a large American Flag. That is where the public will stop when the real Memorial is eventually built.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts

I have no words right now......

but just wanted to let you know I read this....

Thanks Shaun....

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Got back on 30 heading towards Bedford, had to stop and take a picture for ASC

In my mind, Rt. 30 is a 4 lane hell of redlights and strip malls. I need to head east to the real 30 more often.

Decided to head up towards Raystown Lake, one of my highschool buddies moved up there my senior year. Got lost on a detour and found a nice 11% grade with lots of weaving and smooth pavement.

Somewhere in Lancaster county, I smelled something abosutely delicious. turned around and found a Mennonite BBQ. The Oddest thing I've ever seen, but it sure tasted good!

Saw lots of signs warning to watch for horse-drawn carriages, but didn't see any. :( Lot's of exhaust spills on the road though...
Finally ended up in Huntingdon, PA and saw an old jail.

Wanted to get a good shot of the turrett and saw a guard (with a gun) giving me the evil eye. I yelled "Sorry", put the camera away and made tracks, post haste.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Made it up to Raystown Overlook, and my buddies family didn't live there anymore. Now I'll have to try to find him some other way.

the Overlook was as pretty as I remembered it though

Bet this would be very pretty if it weren't so dry. Why can't my yard be this brown? Then I wouldn't need to mow it tomorrow.

Sorry, I take a lot of pictures of plaques...

Anyhow, filled the bike back up and hit 22 to head home.

Bear in mind, the last time I took 22 was when Marty's family lived up here. It has changed a lot in 23 years. What used to be a nice 2 lane wind through the center of Pennsylvania is now a big dusty ditch that will soon be a 4 lane slab. Ick. I was in moto-hell for 2 hours, until I got fed up and took little side roads back home.

My a55 hurts. My sinuses are all out of whack. But it was a good Saturday ride.

Trip total

Bike Total

Averaged 53.337 mpg while I was at it. :fiddy:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sounds like a very fun and inspirational trip!

The Flight 93 memorial...seeing the actual crash sight brings a tear to my eye. They will be missed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Remembering that day makes me cry....(being a lighting director at CNN and the only on duty that morning....I saw so much of what they wouldn't let us put on air in our routers than I care to recall-live, uncensored feeds can be brutal).

I personally want to thank you for making that plaque and it's a shame that our country won't do more.

G

·
Really great post and photos!

A shame that we couldn't do more for those that lost their lives that day -- kind of disgusting in a way.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wow, kinda teared me up. Good pics and story behind it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
How many times have I scooted by on a nearby road? Not enough of us are as connected as we should be to the events that make/remake our country.
Thanks for the pictures and experiences, Shaun.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
very sad to hear that is all they have as far as a memorial for that site Shaun. your write up was somewhat emotional. you should get that pic of you framed and put up in your office.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I Keep in mind it's been almost 7 f'ing years and this is the best OUR COUNTRY could do for these people? Tears are rolling down my face, not of sadness or reverence for the heroes, but of shame and frustration. I was embarrassed that these people died in a selfless act and all they have are a thousand little pins, painted rocks and ceramic angels to remember them by?
It wouldn't matter how big or ornate it was, it will never be enough.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.