Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 naked. I hate the way the top triple looks...too messy. I love the look of clipons on the naked, but I'm also going on 40 and don't think I'd like leaning over as far as many clipons make you lean. I'm a big guy,though, so having to reach forward more probably won't bug me. So the questions are:

1. How close do the 3.5" rise Swatts come to the height of stock naked bars? I have superbike bars on mine now, so they're about an inch lower than stock, I think.

2. I've read on here that the Swatts will need either a spacer or different triple clamp bolts or both on the naked. If you get the right bolts, can you do without the spacers, or do you need both? Where are people getting the spacers? I don't see them on the Swatt site.

I know about the headlight bracket issue, I can deal with that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If using a Naked to triple, you will need spacers to go between the Swatt fork clamps and risers. The bolt issue is for S top triple.

The 3.5" Swatt clip-ons are probably comparable to your superbike bars, maybe a little lower.

One thing I enjoy about my 3.5" Swatts is I have the flexibility of lowering them to a stock S-like height for when the road becomes not so straight.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Here's the S and N triple. With the N triple, the Swatt risers interfere with where the pinch bolt mounts, not just the bolt head itself.

S triple:

N triple:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, pics are worth 1000 words, right? I should have just gone and looked at the bike, I would have seen the bolt mount problem. Thanks.

Any clue where to get spacers? Can I just mill up a couple of aluminum blocks?

Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You'll definitely need the spacer and longer bolts to clear the top triple bolt. The height of the 3.5" Swatt is pretty close to that of the N risers. I had some of these clip-ons that I sold recently because I was looking to get a lot of down-angle and not much sweep, but found that these weren't going to get me there (I was using a drag bar cut in half instead of the Swatt bar to get another 18 degrees of down angle). After my ride today, where I brought my Heli Bars way back (couldn't take the bars lock to lock, but it wasn't a big deal while riding), I found that the sweep is actually more imoortant for wrist relief than the down angle... Go figure. [me feeling stupid] So I'm going to try some different clips that put the bar farther forward with a lot of sweep and see how that feels (the Heli Bars bring the position backwards, so they hit the tank before lock).

So anyway... If you want to get some real flexibility with the Swatts, try taking a Bikemaster bar (take your pick, there's a lot of them to choose from), cut them in half, and use those in the clamps instead of the Swatt bars. Don't worry, they'll fit in the clamps just fine (as long as you get the 7/8" diameter bar).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bill Swatt makes spacers for his clip-ons. He doesn't list them on his site, but you can ask about them. Unfortunately they are not thick enough to get passed the naked triple bolts. I spoke with him a few months ago and he said if there was enough demand he would makes some that would work for us, I asked on forum and got no interest so I ended up swapping my naked triples for "s" ones to solve the problem.
Bill's super nice so I'm sure if you send him an email through his site, he would be willing to give you the dimensions of his spacers, then you could make your own. He told me his are 7mm thick, and I roughly measured that they would be need to be an additional 4-5mm thick to pass the bolts... don't take that as gospel, that was me eyeballing with a ruler.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually like the S triples better anyway, but assuming I swapped, is there a way to mount my N guages? Anyone know?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went to Home Depot and got a peice of aluminum, hacked at it with a saw, drilled a few holes and sprayed it black. In the process I decided to take off the front mini fairing, which made my speedo look way too out of place. I ended up setting my speedo on top of the headlight with a few pieces of velcro in between for cushion, then made my bracket and attached it from the upper triple clamp bolt to the speedo. It's not pretty at all, but it's functional and the bike is more fun to ride now, so who cares?
I'll post pics if I figure out how to.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
SWATT clip on Qs

:)
Hey, pics are worth 1000 words, right? I should have just gone and looked at the bike, I would have seen the bolt mount problem. Thanks.

Any clue where to get spacers? Can I just mill up a couple of aluminum blocks?

Thanks for the info so far.

:) The new SWATT Spacers for the N models are thick enough to get past the bolts,

When you order you need to specify spacers for the SV650 N model. They are an additional $15 a set.

You can order through me if you like and take advantage of the Free Shipping,

SWATT is just getting over a production backlog, and some time delivery issues with the Anodizer right now so shipping longer than normal.

The good news is the product is worth waiting for, and you can order your Sets in Anodized Silver or Anodized Black including the bars, or mix it up with the colors if you like,

Let me know if you want the SWATT Risers, by emailing me directly at [email protected]

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts