Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tank on my '99 is leaking fuel. The fuel shows up after she's been parked, but it is noticeable that it is doing it while I ride. It leaks from the tank down the clutch (L) side of the frame. I have traced it back, including running the bike at idle with the tank up and it looks like it is wicking from the pivot bracket (the piece that allows the tank to be pivoted up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this type of a repair? Will I need to have the bracket cut off and re-welded? This area can't be reached from the cap, so I'm guessing that any fixes will have to be externally made.

All advice is most welcome!!!

Thanks!

Tex

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I had a slight leak in mine, pinhole from rust, plugged it with gas tank putty (a 2 part epoxy) been ok for he past 2 years , leak is most likely in the seam at the lowest point ot the tank near the petcock

·
Registered
43 Posts
My GS500 had some pretty serious leaks that I plugged. I used a high strength gasoline-proof sealing glue (not an epoxy, though) on the outside... got that at Home Depot for just a couple of dollars. It worked beautifully.

I also used a product called Kreem on the inside. It was a thick viscous liquid that you coat the inside of the tank with and it forms a kind of bladder for the gasoline. PITA to install, though. I've heard of people using POR (Paint Over Rust) to do the same thing.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I've been out of town for a week, but I'm going to go to HD this afternoon and see what they have available that will hold up to gasoline. It's such perfect riding weather, I've got to get this corrected asap!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts