Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ourchased a racebike that had the front end swapped with a 99 gsxr 750. I am concerned that the swapped forks are shorter than the stock forks as well as the angle in the trees is off.

Is anyone running this set-up and could tell me if I need to lengthen the forks or swap the triples.

Please ping me off list to discuss [email protected]

TIA

Bob

T

·
0 Posts
actualy those are longer than 00-04.they can also be internaly lenghten another 10mm.
triples are at same angle as stock,different offset which changes trail but not angle.
many run this set up without problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the forks off the bike now and could have them lengthened. Is it typical for riders to lengthen the forks or ride it as-is? Obviously the quicker turn in will be a blast on the track but I just don't want to find out the mod upset the chassis geometry.

T

·
0 Posts
it is tipical for racers to lenghten forks internaly but not for geometry purpose,we dont have problem with geometry,it is lenghten so we can have more suspension travel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What are the SV and GSXR offset #'s? Do the GSXR triples have a bit more offset for less trail?

T

·
0 Posts
SV_kage said:
What are the SV and GSXR offset #'s? Do the GSXR triples have a bit more offset for less trail?
you are correct,gsxr has less trail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thx TWF =)

How much trail are we losing here? Does the bike get twitchy? I've been contemplating a steering damper b/c of massively bumpy tracks over here (Pocono and NHIS)...

T

·
0 Posts
SV_kage said:
Thx TWF =)

How much trail are we losing here? Does the bike get twitchy? I've been contemplating a steering damper b/c of massively bumpy tracks over here (Pocono and NHIS)...
you losing if you go by numbers,gaining if you think of sv as chopper :)
what exact number you will end up with depends on geometry of bike.
I like trail around 98mm.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Three areas that have an effect on the trail on SV's:

1 - front wheel size, I run 16.5's
2 - steering head angle, rear ride height & fork length are the ways to adjust that on an SV
3 - offset

B

·
0 Posts
sorry for a newbie question. What do you buys mean by trail? losing and gaining trail?

thx.

T

·
0 Posts
bboylanky said:
sorry for a newbie question. What do you buys mean by trail? losing and gaining trail?

thx.
if you draw line through center of stem down to ground horizontal line going through center of axle to ground will be behind it.that is called trail.different triple tree offsets will change that distance.if forks are closer to stem it will move wheel back and make trail number bigger,and other way around.trail is important for stability of bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts