Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the SV world, but I'm diving in head first... I bought a 99 SV650 on a whim combined with a well timed search on Craigslist for a bike for someone else. An SV wasn't the goal, I was just searching for anything. I wanted a bike too, just wasn't overly serious yet. Anyway, the bike looks better in pics than real life. The guy painted it himself and it looks like @#$. Off white and rough pitted texture. Plastidiped in places. It had some home made janky side luggage rack thing and had been put down once. So I have some work to do.

I'd love your feedback here

Here she is as purchased.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I'm jumping all over with what area I'm working on. Mostly I'm just separating, prepping and figuring out what is going to get painted and powder coated. My pride was finding a factory seat cowl on ebay. Took me quite a while though.

I've done a couple things.

LED gauge lights. They look way better in realzies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toying with a cheap ebay headlight. The original is road rashed and not going to be reused. BTW, the ebay light is a 6" and the factory light brackets flipped over (swap sides so the bend goes in) work perfect for the smaller light. I'm not sold on this light, but budget options seem to be few and far between.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Other than paint, I think my eliminator is done. Just need to put a plate mount on, but I'm not sure I want it there yet. We'll see.

The extra bracket with the 2 nuts welded on is part of the PO's janky side luggage mount (as seen in the first pic in this thread). I'm debating cutting the whole thing off (including the factory bars it's welded to), but me being me, i like the idea of being able to do the luggage thing if a spontaneous road trip arose. TBD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Moving on...

Paint/ powder coat pile growing.

Getting the lowers ready to be P-coated.

Inspecting the carbs...

Finding this. :angry5: My first clue there might be an issue should have been that it took an impact driver to get the bowl screws off they were on so tight. Someone with no business fiddling with carbs did just that. Fiddled.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I guess I skipped over my LED gauge light mod. So it was fairly straight forward with the exception of the T5 bulb. The first bulb I tried had all the SMD's pointing straight up. While they will work, they created a hot spot (overly bright spot) in the gauge right above the bulb. After searching I found a 3 SMD T5 with 1 pointing up and 2 to the side. The only issue with this bulb is the base was too narrow to make good contact in the socket. That was easily remedied with a touch of solder added to the legs. Then to eliminate the hot spot, I put a drop of paint on the top SMD to "kill" it. Side note, the T10 LED has a SMD on top, but I assume because the gauge face is black on that side, it didn't create a hot spot. I got the bulbs off sleezbay.

I have 5-10 of both of these bulbs if anyone needs some.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've been debating my exhaust. The PO put a full V&H S4 system on it. Overall I like it, but I don't like how long the silencer is. I debated getting a new slip on, but the V&H pipe and silencer don't mount to each other in the same place as the stock ones. I'd need another complete system. And ultimately, i couldn't justify spending that much $$ on something i didn't really need because I wanted it shorter. So I started tinkering as I often do.

From a 17" body, to a 13" body.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts